Re: Land Value Tax article in the Guardian

  • mattbieker
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...> wrote:
      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "mattbieker" <agrarian.justice@> wrote:

      > Matt, I am sure I mentioned the IFS report a few years ago.

      Quite possibly. I may well have forgotten that.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "mattbieker" <agrarian.justice@...> wrote:

        > The article mentions a study, it refers to it as the "Mirrlees
        > report," which after some googling, I found was available
        > for free <a href="http://www.ifs.org.uk/mirrleesReview">here</a>.

        The IFS was set up by a right-wing group (mainly of the Tory Party) in the 1960s to counter the then Labour government's policies. So for them to come up with a report with LVT in it is startling. The biggest funders of the Tory Party are financial institutions of the City of London and second is "land speculators". So no surprise it is generally an LVT sparse party.

        The Tory party has another think tank in the Policy Exchange, also set up by a right-wing group, but as the IFS, claims to be politically "independent". Claims many take with a pinch of salt. But both have
        come up with some good work at times. The IFS with the Mirrlees report and the PE who castigated the UK planning laws for causing a major housing shortage in a country with a land surplus and producing tiny homes at inflated prices. The Policy Exchange is said to be Cameron's favourite Think Tank. Cameron is changing the planning laws and hoping to further change them. Policy Exchange influence?

        In one report from the Policy Exchange, they suggested the country should all move into the south east of England and abandon cities all over the north of England. So, many regard the outfit as warped cranks. At times they do not do themselves any favours.