Land Value Tax article in the Guardian

  • mattbieker
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2012
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2012
        Thanks for those tips. I'll follow them.

      • John David Kromkowski
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2012
          Thanks.  I've made a quick read of Chapter 16, very interesting.

          Identifies them as:

          The Commission's work was directed by:
          Timothy Besley
          Richard Blundell
          Malcolm Gammie
          James Poterba

          The Commission's editorial team:
          Stuart Adam
          Stephen Bond
          Robert Chote
          Paul Johnson
          Gareth Myles

          On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM, mattbieker <agrarian.justice@...> wrote:

          --
          Very truly yours

          John D. Kromkowski
          6803 York Road -- Suite 207
          Baltimore, MD 21212

          Tel     410-377-6248
          Fax     410-372-0624
          Mobile  443-271-0500

          This communication, along with any documents, files or attachments, is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of any information contained in or attached to this communication is strictly prohibited.

          If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original communication and its attachments without reading, printing or saving  in any manner.
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
            Thanks Matt!

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
              --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "mattbieker" <agrarian.justice@...> wrote:

              Matt, I am sure I mentioned the IFS report a few years ago.
            • mattbieker
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
                --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...> wrote:
                > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "mattbieker" <agrarian.justice@> wrote:

                > Matt, I am sure I mentioned the IFS report a few years ago.

                Quite possibly. I may well have forgotten that.
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
                  --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "mattbieker" <agrarian.justice@...> wrote:

                  > The article mentions a study, it refers to it as the "Mirrlees
                  > report," which after some googling, I found was available
                  > for free <a href="http://www.ifs.org.uk/mirrleesReview">here</a>.

                  The IFS was set up by a right-wing group (mainly of the Tory Party) in the 1960s to counter the then Labour government's policies. So for them to come up with a report with LVT in it is startling. The biggest funders of the Tory Party are financial institutions of the City of London and second is "land speculators". So no surprise it is generally an LVT sparse party.

                  The Tory party has another think tank in the Policy Exchange, also set up by a right-wing group, but as the IFS, claims to be politically "independent". Claims many take with a pinch of salt. But both have
                  come up with some good work at times. The IFS with the Mirrlees report and the PE who castigated the UK planning laws for causing a major housing shortage in a country with a land surplus and producing tiny homes at inflated prices. The Policy Exchange is said to be Cameron's favourite Think Tank. Cameron is changing the planning laws and hoping to further change them. Policy Exchange influence?

                  In one report from the Policy Exchange, they suggested the country should all move into the south east of England and abandon cities all over the north of England. So, many regard the outfit as warped cranks. At times they do not do themselves any favours.