Re: FT

  • k_r_johansen
    Message 1 of 111 , Nov 7, 2012

      > Not that I know how the HK lease system works, but I should imagine the leases are pretty long and assigned to a purchaser on transfer (without upward revaluation) ,so there would be plenty of opportunity for inflation to creep in,would there not?<

      Yes, the leases are now around 50 years. They have been up to 999 years though. I can't find info on when and where there are adjustments except for lease renewals.

      >Leasing would seem a pretty clumsy , unresponsive way to deal with changing situations,perhaps.Rather dented my enthusiam for land nationalisation,to be honest; unless you had to surrender an incompleted lease on transfer so the purchaser had to pick up a completely new land lease.<

      I agree, land nationalisation has it's problems. It gives the state a market role where it shouldn't. It's also a sobering reminder of the difficulties in taxing land rents. Even when the state outright owns the land, and have the opportunity to explicitly state in a contract it's terms, the political pressure against taking the full value is daunting.

      >Some blogs talk about the effects of American QE3 on HK property.Did n't QE3 kick in a matter of mere months ago?If so and the money is showing up the other side of the Pacific, then one answer might be to re-think QE as a concept.The idea of distributing QE to the people including issuing "time limited spending vouchers" to all households as proposed by Robt Skidelsky in this latter instance, and Anatole Kalestsky and Steve Keen in general, is,again, worth looking at .<

      You are exclusively focusing on the monetary side. The fact is, any monetary system would still award unearned land increments to landowners. Hong Kong's liberal economic policies predictably creates a lot of growth, and the residual after labour and capital will accrue to landowners.

      Kj
      Message 111 of 111 , Nov 23, 2012
        JDK,

        Those who survive are presumably the fittest to survive for the "fittest" just describes those who have survived.

        With regard to your last sentence – Stalin got there first.

        On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM, JDKromkowski <jdkromkowski@...> wrote:

        Evolution is not really: the survival of the "fittest" It is just survival of that which survives. Evolution is a way of describing the process of how variation within a population will lead to variation eventually of species.  There are plenty of genes along for the ride which are not particularly "the fittest".

        Yes the survival of the two apostolic lungs of Christianity (Catholics and the Eastern church) despite its massive weakness and in fact embracement of weakness of the god who becomes human and is rejected and put to death is a puzzle and crazy on its face. It drove Nietzsche crazy (well that and syphillus drove him crazy).  It also drove the communists crazy too.   Massive defense? How many tanks does the church have?

        Jdk

        Sent from my iPad

        On Nov 16, 2012, at 11:26 PM, "mattbieker" <agrarian.justice@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM, mattbieker <agrarian.justice@...
        > > wrote:
        > >
        > > The catholic church has one real function: serving the clergy. When it
        > > was able to, it dominated a large swath of the earth in an imperial form.
        > > It can't now, so it fills out whatever niches it can; but the main thing is
        > > ensuring that members of clergy don't have to go and get real jobs.
        > >
        > Thanks for sharing this one too. I'm getting better picture of Land Cafe.
        > It really is best if we get it all out in the open. It's for the same
        > reason I won't hide my background.
        >
        > This isn't a cocktail party, where we need to avoid the topic for
        > charitable purposes - or at least for the purposes of not interfering with
        > mutual love of beer or gin or your choice. I'd still have a beer in
        > Baltimore (once), with any of you clowns.
        >
        > JDK

        *shrugs* Whatever one thinks of Roy's evolutionary basis for morals, I think there's fairly clearly a pseudo-evolutionary basis for ideas and institutions. Dawkins made this case in his "The Selfish Gene." Basically, ideas are duplicated, with variation, in the minds of individuals; from there, it's survival of the fittest. The conceptual equivalent to a gene being a "meme." Why do religious institutions survive despite being a load of crap that generally act as a drain on society? They're very advanced critters in the world of memes; they've evolved a whole host of defenses to offset their massive weaknesses, such as the notion that it's not polite or even acceptable to question a man's faith, or that without beliefs in these memes, we have no basis for social behavior.

        Catholicism isn't necessarily the most egregious case of this sort of memetic virus (that has to go to Scientology, don't you think?), but that's what it is, and all the bottom line of them all is the same: enrichment (both financial as well as emotional) of clergy. Still and all, its senseless and generally ad-hoc opposition to contraception, even in the light of AIDS epidemics, is horrible enough in and of itself to give me a fairly thoroughgoing distaste for it in particular, and I'd pretty much rather not see any meme I deem useful or good to be mixed up with it.

        Personally, I think one of the best parts of online discussion is that there's less tendency to hold back one's beliefs; many lament this, saying that the internet just makes everyone rude because they don't fear social repercussions, but I believe there's inherent value there, as it allows for a more rapid evolution of memes. The noise and nastiness comes with the territory, and I think people will just eventually find a new normal.

        One common Christian meme is certainly right though: hate the sin, and not the sinner. I agree, I'd have a beer with any of you. It's worth making a conscious effort not to take attacks against our beliefs too personally, because it turns out everyone tends to be wrong quite often.