Fred Harrison warns that the world is highly vulnerable to global war

  • Edward Dodson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2012
      http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=182723

      Fred Harrison recently spoke at the International Union conference in Buenos
      Aires on the global financial and economic conditions. He offers an
      extremely discomforting view of our circumstances and the future.

      I highly recommend taking the hour required to watch and listen to Fred
      Harrison talk about the "predator culture" and why our actions are pulling
      us closer and closer to global war. His perspectives are important to any
      thoughtful person concerned about our future.

      Ed Dodson

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2012
          --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Dodson" <ejdodson@...> wrote:

          > http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=182723
          >
          > Fred Harrison recently spoke at the International
          > Union conference in Buenos Aires on the global
          > financial and economic conditions. He offers an
          > extremely discomforting view of our circumstances
          > and the future.

          Ed, this has been on Youtube for a while. Fred makes a solid case(s) as usual. His definition of a depression is I think, Idle labour and surplus capital not coming to together to be productive.

          The e.g. of Adam Smith telling the UK government to adopt Land taxing and not tax the colonists in British America stands out - this led to basically a civil war. Similar in France that led to French revolution. Similar in Russia with Tolstoy. Germany was impressed with the success of LVT in their Chinese colony that they were considering adoption in Germany. The Liberals were pushing in the UK for LVT and nearly got it. This begs a what if question. What if LVT was implemented in Germany and the UK, would WW1 and WW2 have been avoided?

          The Argentinians were concerned at conflict over the Falklands. Their
          government is sabre rattling and this is all over quick wealth - oil. The British have found oil off the Falklands. Reducing dependency on resources that are potential flashpoints like oil is desirable. Vastly reducing dependency on oil and gas is easy to do by eco building and design using the sun, earth, etc. Not difficult to do. What happens when southern Mongolia runs out of coal and China is desperate for oil?

          The pointers do point to a war and Fred gives solid examples of the conditions that led to WW1 and WW2.

          Fred is correct that Capitalism in its current form is a killing machine. Its cyclic catastrophic failures causes discontent and a climate for conflict. Few major wars in the past 150 years did not have economics as the root cause.

          We all know the solution.
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2012
            John,

            Fred does a good -if depressing job.

            Here's a piece by Kevin Carson that is interesting and deserves a greater circulation.
            The Free Market as Full Communism

            Enjoy!

            On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM, John <burns-john@...> wrote:

            --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Dodson" <ejdodson@...> wrote:

            > http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=182723
            >
            > Fred Harrison recently spoke at the International
            > Union conference in Buenos Aires on the global
            > financial and economic conditions. He offers an
            > extremely discomforting view of our circumstances
            > and the future.

            Ed, this has been on Youtube for a while. Fred makes a solid case(s) as usual. His definition of a depression is I think, Idle labour and surplus capital not coming to together to be productive.

            The e.g. of Adam Smith telling the UK government to adopt Land taxing and not tax the colonists in British America stands out - this led to basically a civil war. Similar in France that led to French revolution. Similar in Russia with Tolstoy. Germany was impressed with the success of LVT in their Chinese colony that they were considering adoption in Germany. The Liberals were pushing in the UK for LVT and nearly got it. This begs a what if question. What if LVT was implemented in Germany and the UK, would WW1 and WW2 have been avoided?

            The Argentinians were concerned at conflict over the Falklands. Their
            government is sabre rattling and this is all over quick wealth - oil. The British have found oil off the Falklands. Reducing dependency on resources that are potential flashpoints like oil is desirable. Vastly reducing dependency on oil and gas is easy to do by eco building and design using the sun, earth, etc. Not difficult to do. What happens when southern Mongolia runs out of coal and China is desperate for oil?

            The pointers do point to a war and Fred gives solid examples of the conditions that led to WW1 and WW2.

            Fred is correct that Capitalism in its current form is a killing machine. Its cyclic catastrophic failures causes discontent and a climate for conflict. Few major wars in the past 150 years did not have economics as the root cause.

            We all know the solution.

          • k_r_johansen
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15, 2012

              > John,
              >
              > Fred does a good -if depressing job.
              >
              > Here's a piece by Kevin Carson that is interesting and deserves a greater
              > circulation.
              > The Free Market as Full Communism
              >
              > http://c4ss.org/content/12561
              >
              > Enjoy!
              >
              > Harry

              I'm glad someone made a reference to Carson, an excellent writer. Although I'm not in the anarchist camp, he points out a lot of important perspectives relevant to everyone with libertarian leanings. In reference to the recent exchange on unions, he has written a very good study (PDF, long read) on that very theme:
              http://c4ss.org/content/4163

              "In his tenth research study for C4SS, Kevin Carson explains that the state's labor regulations, far from promoting workers' bargaining rights, have hindered them. Carson then points the way toward a future of labor radicalism aligned with free market anarchism."

              Kj
            • John David Kromkowski
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 15, 2012
                kj wrote:"In his tenth research study for C4SS, Kevin Carson explains that the state's labor regulations, far from promoting workers' bargaining rights, have hindered them. Carson then points the way toward a future of labor radicalism aligned with free market anarchism."

                JDK:  He ought to test out his theory in Somalia.

              • k_r_johansen
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 15, 2012

                  > kj wrote:"In his tenth research study for C4SS, Kevin Carson explains that
                  > the state's labor regulations, far from promoting workers' bargaining
                  > rights, have hindered them. Carson then points the way toward a future of
                  > labor radicalism aligned with free market anarchism."
                  >
                  > JDK: He ought to test out his theory in Somalia.

                  Heh. As I said, I'm not really anarchist, but his analysis is still relevant without the conclusion. That Somalia-reference gets tossed around a bit easily whenever someone proposes something not of the current politics as usual IMO, but this is a funny take on that theme:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDv4sYwjO0

                  Kj
                • John David Kromkowski
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 15, 2012