Re: Detroit Land Grab

  • k_r_johansen
    Message 1 of 395 , Sep 2 12:26 PM

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
      >
      >FWIW, I agree that implementing land rent recovery is likely to be easier somewhere else than in the USA, but that's partly because<

      OTOH the US has examples where property taxes are significant, and are major state revenues as well, NH for example. This would be unheard of in most of Europe.

      > But I do think we should be looking more to other countries where private landowning is not so entrenched for implementation opportunities: China, Cuba, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Vietnam, Laos, Zimbabwe, Libya, Ethiopia, and even -- shock! -- North Korea.<

      Jamaica actually has an LVT, even in name: http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/aysispwps/paper0508.htm.

      Kj
      Message 395 of 395 , Sep 12 10:01 PM

        > The main point of resorting to natural law pronoucements of the kind you have bellowed is that they are supposed to help us determine what the various human-made laws SHOULD say. That is, if we have a question about know how some law should be constructed with respect to, e.g., who should receive various benefits and for how long or which protections of person or property must be enforced, or whatever, natural law claims are sometimes made--just as you have confidently made them in this context. It is, thus plainly circular to respond, when asked to specify the characteristics of some claimed natural law, "You'll have to consult the local legislature and courts--they'll tell us."

        Which might be why I haven't done so. Citizenship self-evidently isn't a question of natural law, and I've explained why residence defined as six months + reflects the relevant natural law principles.