Re: Detroit Land Grab

  • John David Kromkowski
    Message 1 of 395 , Sep 1 12:50 PM
      " I make no claims regarding "knowing the laws" generally. However, I have a pretty good sense of the situation here in Mass. I worked in the State House for the Commerce and Labor Committee for a half-dozen years, writing and analyzing statutes, and have been a workcomp bureaucrat since--for more years than I'd like to mention. Anyhow, no city or town here can have a two-rate property tax here without getting a local option bill through the legislature. I've seen the town manager in Chicopee work his butt off to get that authority a few years back--with no effect at all. You'd need the Speaker and the Senate President for something like that. Good luck with that.  W"

      I know your background.  My point was only that most land taxers no very little about laws.

      There is very little organized and accurate information about what the true state of the law is in various jurisdictions.

      --
      Very truly yours

      John D. Kromkowski
      6803 York Road -- Suite 207
      Baltimore, MD 21212

      Tel     410-377-6248
      Fax     410-372-0624
      Mobile  443-271-0500

      This communication, along with any documents, files or attachments, is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of any information contained in or attached to this communication is strictly prohibited.

      If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original communication and its attachments without reading, printing or saving  in any manner.
      Message 395 of 395 , Sep 12 10:01 PM

        > The main point of resorting to natural law pronoucements of the kind you have bellowed is that they are supposed to help us determine what the various human-made laws SHOULD say. That is, if we have a question about know how some law should be constructed with respect to, e.g., who should receive various benefits and for how long or which protections of person or property must be enforced, or whatever, natural law claims are sometimes made--just as you have confidently made them in this context. It is, thus plainly circular to respond, when asked to specify the characteristics of some claimed natural law, "You'll have to consult the local legislature and courts--they'll tell us."

        Which might be why I haven't done so. Citizenship self-evidently isn't a question of natural law, and I've explained why residence defined as six months + reflects the relevant natural law principles.