Re: Detroit Land Grab

    Message 1 of 395 , Sep 1 8:10 AM
      I just wanted to add that, a couple of days ago, a state rep. candidate for an open seat was going door-to-door in my neighborhood to tell us why he is better than the other Dem. candidates for this now open seat (my district is very Dem.--no Repub. would have a chance here either prior to or subsequent to the redistricting that has just occurred). For a fleeting moment I thought I might ask him about two-rate taxes, but I realized how stupid and hopeless it would be, so I whined about the state of our school administration for the 5 minutes allotted me instead.

      There really is ZERO chance for anything like that here. Less so than 20 years ago, when I actually devoted considerable time and trouble to the effort.

      Message 395 of 395 , Sep 12 10:01 PM

        > The main point of resorting to natural law pronoucements of the kind you have bellowed is that they are supposed to help us determine what the various human-made laws SHOULD say. That is, if we have a question about know how some law should be constructed with respect to, e.g., who should receive various benefits and for how long or which protections of person or property must be enforced, or whatever, natural law claims are sometimes made--just as you have confidently made them in this context. It is, thus plainly circular to respond, when asked to specify the characteristics of some claimed natural law, "You'll have to consult the local legislature and courts--they'll tell us."

        Which might be why I haven't done so. Citizenship self-evidently isn't a question of natural law, and I've explained why residence defined as six months + reflects the relevant natural law principles.