Re: Detroit Land Grab

    Message 1 of 395 , Sep 1 7:16 AM

      > I don't see the fact that land values are low in some parts of the USA and inflated ( by speculators) in others is that difficult to get your head around. As a, by no means partisan,supporter of the JS Mill land tax which suppresses inflationary land price rises ( and is really an anti HPI mechanism and ,I admit, not a lot else) this is IMO what is pretty much to be expected.(I once suggested a mechanism by which increasing LVT receipts in areas of the USA receiving people should be tranferred back to places losing them and so losing possible LVT revenue.This suggestion was received with customary land cafe courtesy ( irony).As the UK is beset with speculative land value inflation all over , this all- -American bickering about land prices in places we've never heard of,strikes me as out of order in a forum set up by a left > >wing Englishman to discuss matters of common concern.

      I continue to agree with that perspective. I don't see anything of any interest happening in the U.S. in my lifetime at any rate. It really doesn't matter who's right about pcts of land value. The U.S. is a political wasteland.

      Message 395 of 395 , Sep 12 10:01 PM

        > The main point of resorting to natural law pronoucements of the kind you have bellowed is that they are supposed to help us determine what the various human-made laws SHOULD say. That is, if we have a question about know how some law should be constructed with respect to, e.g., who should receive various benefits and for how long or which protections of person or property must be enforced, or whatever, natural law claims are sometimes made--just as you have confidently made them in this context. It is, thus plainly circular to respond, when asked to specify the characteristics of some claimed natural law, "You'll have to consult the local legislature and courts--they'll tell us."

        Which might be why I haven't done so. Citizenship self-evidently isn't a question of natural law, and I've explained why residence defined as six months + reflects the relevant natural law principles.