Re: Detroit Land Grab

    Message 1 of 395 , Aug 29, 2012

      > 1. I think you are overstating the effect of unionization -

      The relevant effect is of union PRIVILEGE, not unions or unionization per se.

      > For example, the German auto industry is unionized.

      But because of the different legal traditions, German unions do not have the irresponsible power that unions have in countries where the legal tradition is English Common Law.

      > It is not really a "rent"
      > collection racket what the union negotiates for is WAGES (all those
      > benefits are WAGES a return for LABOR.)

      I agree the terms are confusing. I would prefer to call it an "exaction" rather than "rent" -- like the similar exactions of manufacturers who are protected by tariffs, or of taxi medallion holders -- and reserve the term, "rent" for the return to legal control of natural resources. But the term is "rent" in common neoclassical parlance, so it's important to be able to communicate that in discussions with people steeped in that tradition.

      > As to Employers required to deal
      > with Unions, have you not heard about the concept of a "lockout".

      That is exactly the point: they deal with the union or cease operations.

      > THe better history is to look at how reliance on the property tax (as messed up
      > as half of it is) has gradually declined over the decades since the 50s.

      I've cautioned about adopting this pro-property-tax viewpoint before, especially as it applies to Detroit: the property tax is TWO OPPOSITE TAXES, so their effect depends on the relationship between land value and improvement value. In a place like CA, where land value averages three or four times improvement value, their low property tax rates, mandated by Proposition 13, are disastrous; but in Detroit, by contrast, where improvement value averages three or four times land value, their HIGH property tax rates are disastrous.

      > 2. There also may be some generally confounding when you say Detroit do you
      > mean the city (how I'm using it) or are you using term to apply to the auto-industry. And when you talk about unionization are you talking about industry unions or public sector unions.

      I'm talking about all unions, and the city of Detroit, but not restricting that to the city _government_. The auto makers have been such a dominant force in Detroit's economy that their unions have had a huge effect on the city's economic fortunes. The city still has one of the highest rates of private sector unionization in the country.

      > 3. At least you admit that you don't care about laws and legal stuff and local legal stuff.

      It's more that I'm aware I don't know how to solve that kind of problem. I do know how to solve operational, economic and philosophical problems.

      > You can not implement LVT without understanding how laws are made. Theory
      > and a philosphical and logical basis for action is important but theory is not a magic wand that changes laws.

      Law is a formal structure like a computer program. I don't know much about programming, either, so I am content to leave it up to those who do.

      Message 395 of 395 , Sep 12, 2012

        > The main point of resorting to natural law pronoucements of the kind you have bellowed is that they are supposed to help us determine what the various human-made laws SHOULD say. That is, if we have a question about know how some law should be constructed with respect to, e.g., who should receive various benefits and for how long or which protections of person or property must be enforced, or whatever, natural law claims are sometimes made--just as you have confidently made them in this context. It is, thus plainly circular to respond, when asked to specify the characteristics of some claimed natural law, "You'll have to consult the local legislature and courts--they'll tell us."

        Which might be why I haven't done so. Citizenship self-evidently isn't a question of natural law, and I've explained why residence defined as six months + reflects the relevant natural law principles.