Re: North Dakota Considers Eliminating Property Tax

  • Scott on the Spot
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2012
      To get a little more exposure, I posted a modified version of this as an
      article here:
      http://www.opednews.com/articles/North-Dakota-considers-eli-by-Scott-Bak\
      er-120612-831.html

      The public is so ignorant however, that I am not expecting an epiphany
      anytime soon.
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Janos Abel" <goodworld@...> wrote:

      > "Liberty Starts With Property rights" says the back of Keith Colville.
      But what *is* property?
      > If something is stolen is it proper property? Land rent belongs to
      the community not to the individual holder of the right to occupy.

      > Is the ND property tax a two tier charge (land/buildings)?

      This is even worse than California-destroying proposition 13.
      > BISMARCK, N.D. â€" Since Californians shrank their property
      taxes more than three decades ago by passing Proposition 13, people
      around the nation have echoed their dismay over such levies, putting
      forth plans to even them, simplify them, cap them, slash them. In an
      election here on Tuesday, residents of North Dakota will consider a
      measure that reaches far beyond any of that â€" one that abolishes
      the property tax entirely.

      > North Dakota Considers Eliminating Property Tax
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/us/north-dakota-voters-consider-ending\
      -property-tax.html?hp

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2012
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Janos Abel" <goodworld@...> wrote:

        > "Liberty Starts With Property rights" says the back of Keith Colville.

        That will be news to slaves...

        -- Roy Langston
      • Matthew Bieker
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
          Yeah, I saw that.  I figured it would likely lose, but it's encouraging that it got annihilated like that.

          On 6/14/2012 10:00 AM, John wrote:

          The amendment to abolish the property tax in North Dakota lost 76% to 24%.

          No virus found in this message.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
            The amendment to abolish the property tax in North Dakota lost 76% to 24%. They voted to KEEP a tax. It appears some common sense prevailed in ND. Teacher were vocal in keeping the tax as they saw schools were funded by the tax.

            They now need to drop taxing the buildings on the "property" and have SVT.