Re: The Rent averages over $3,400 in Manhattan now

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 23, 2012

      > You're right that the rural
      > communities shouldn't be subsidizing
      > the cities. However, with LVT, I'd
      > think those cities could pretty much
      > maintain themselves. An awful lot of
      > monopolized rent there.

      In most cases the cities subsidize the rural areas in many aspects. Many young people are forced into London and into the hands of the property sharks. The antiquated property laws makes it easy for these sharks to operate.

      The virtually unique to England Wales, leasehold the deeply flawed form of tenure, is increasing more rapidly than at any stage since feudal times. With apartments accounting for a greater proportion of new homes than ever before.

      Changing these unjust laws is not even on the governments radar. At least in NY they have better property laws than the UK.
    • Scott on the Spot
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 23, 2012
        I disagree.  We in the cities subsidize the rural areas with roads, utilities etc. to near-nowhere.  It is FAR more efficient to live in a block of apartments, than in a stand-alone house, sharing utilities with maybe a dozen people per mile.  In fact, we here in Common Ground-NYC are trying to free up vacant land by taxing it at the same rate as built-upon land.
        http://www.change.org/petitions/tax-vacant-unused-land-to-return-its-value-to-the-community
        It is far more inefficient to maintain highways and polluting cars than mass transit on city streets.