Fwd: Preservation Law & Planning

  • Dave Wetzel
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2012

    On Mon 09/04/12 11:42 , "David Hirst" <david@...> wrote:

    The concepts of planning and Land Value Tax are deeply intertwined, and I have been exploring the literature a bit (for reasons other than Land Value Tax!), and have come across these two papers, which both seemed quite good, and potentially relevant.

    The first, on Historic Preservation, has some lovely phrases about the meaning of urban spaces and “historical narrative”: For example: “The key for significance is that the structures are able to convey meaning about the past; they exemplify or embody a historical narrative that people in the present value.” And “The urban renewal periods of the 1950’s and 1960’s put city residents at the mercy of architects and engineers working for the combined power of government and capital.” Would LVT have improved things?

    The second, on Wind, has a paper from CPRE, which I liked, and wonder if LVT can help make planning less of a context, and more co-operative. Certainly, the placement of Wind Turbines is a key issue for society, almost existential, and I wonder what wind turbines do for land value.

    Both are free to download, but both need rituals, so I attach the papers if you want to look at them.

    I am in deepest Cornwall, and it is quite wet enough no not go out, so I may finish George today.

    Have fun.

    David

    David Hirst

    !-!?!-Hirst Solutions Limited

     Dave Wetzel
    Message 2 of 2 , Apr 16, 2012
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wetzel <davewetzel42@...> wrote:

      > The concepts of planning and Land Value Tax
      > are deeply intertwined,

      > The first, on Historic Preservation, has
      > some lovely phrases about the
      > meaning of urban spaces and "historical
      > narrative": For example: "The key
      > for significance is that the structures
      > are able to convey meaning about
      > the past; they exemplify or embody a
      > historical narrative that people in
      > the present value."

      Most people care not a hoot about historical stuff when they life a rabbit hutch that costs he earth to buy because of the ridiculous 1947 T&C Planning Act.

      CPRE were invited to participate in forming the act. That is like asking bank robbers to count money for you. Look what we ended up with. Only 7.7% of the country is settled with a massive shortage of homes and homes that cost and arm and a leg to buy.

      Simon Fairlie wrote a book, Low Impact Development: Planning and People in a Sustainable Countryside. This goes into how the Stalinist act (reinforced by Thatcher) was formed. He is into basic living and all that stuff.