Re: [LandCafe] Georgist Songs & Poems

  • Wyn Achenbaum
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2012
      I've not seen it ... waiting for it to be on DVD ... I'll be glad to send to anyone who is interested a 3-part series from 1912 by Ray Stannard Baker, in The American magazine:
      I. How King Sugar Rules in Hawaii

      II. The Land and the Landless

      III. Human Nature in Hawaii

      Baker also wrote
      RAILROAD REBATES: WHAT REBATES ARE, HOW THEY ARE PAID, WHO PAYS THEM, AND HOW THEY AFFECT INDUSTRY
      and The Spiritual Unrest, which opens with a chapter on Trinity Church Corporation, which even today is one of the largest landholders in lower Manhattan.  (I've also got the 1894 NYT series on their tenements, if anyone is interested.)

      Wyn

      On 2/28/2012 12:10 PM, Gareth Doutch wrote:
      I don't know about georgist songs currently. Has anyone else here seen the movie "The Descendants"?

      Here's a brief snippet of the opening:

      My great-great-grandmother was Princess Margaret Ke’alohilani, one of the last direct descendants of King Kamehameha. She was originally supposed to marry her hanai brother, but she fell in love with her haole banker and estate manager, Edward King, whose parents were missionaries. Between his land deals and her huge inheritance, all of their descendants for generations have watched the past unfurl millions into our laps through leases and sales. Now the Rule Against Perpetuities is forcing us to dissolve the trust, and we’re selling the last parcel of undeveloped land.

      This thread of massive unearned fortunes runs through the whole movie.

      Gareth