Re: [LandCafe] Land Value Tax and the Education debate

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2006
      Re: [LandCafe] Land Value Tax and the Education debate

      "Just pity poor Don Riley, property developer around the Jubilee Line extension stations, who saw his portfolio value rise by over £3bn when the line opened"

      Let's stick to facts:
      Don Riley's portfolio did not rise by over £3nb!

      Don has not to my knowledge ever divulged his personal wealth but it is counted in millions not billions.

      Don's book "Taken for a Ride" shows the JLE increased ALL land values by circa £13bn in total around all 11 new stations. Canary Wharf station was the largest increase.
      Don owns a few valuable properties between Southwark and London Bridge. Jones Lang LaSalle's estimate for Transport for London was that the total increase for all land around Southwark was circa £800m. Don's propetties are only a very small proportion of this.

      I often joke that Don was a millionaire and that now thanks to taxpayers funding the JLE he is now a multi-millionaire - but don't let's confuse millions with billions! We'll just discredit ourselves. We have a solid, cast-iron case with the truth - we don't need to exaggerate with unbelievable figures.
      Best Wishes,
      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair TfL