New LVT Bill in Maryland - Update

  • Joshua Vincent
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9 12:14 PM

      This is Year Three of our effort to get LVT-enabling legislation in Maryland.  The legislative "point man" this year will see the torch passed to Delegate Clarence Davis www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/06hse/html/msa12207.html.

      This year, Delegate Mike Gordon, who remains a Champion of LVT, is unable to devote as much time to pushing legislation as he would like.  The burden rests on Delegate Davis, and our small CSE/HGF team here at HQ and in our Maryland office.

      Delegate Davis learned about Land Value Taxation through Dr. Cripps of Morgan State University in the early 1960s.  He was educated in the context of the Single Tax of Henry George.  Three years ago, Walter Rybeck and I met with Delegate Davis trying to get co-sponsors for Delegate Gordon's LVT bills.  Walt and I both nearly fainted when Delegate Davis said our proposal sounded like "...Henry George, and I've been waiting 40 years to do something about it."

      This session, we are concentrating on one bill, for Baltimore City.  We are putting the county, state, and state education funding LVT bills on the back burner.

      Yesterday, John kromwkowski and I met again with Delegate Davis.  Plotting our tactics, we will start with a March 10 educational session in front of the City of Baltimore Delegation (at the request of Delegation Chair Del. Salima Siler Marriott).

      LVT has been given 10-15 minutes, so it will just be Messrs. Davis and Kromkowski.  Mr. Davis will highlight the social justice issue, and John the economic benefits issue.  Yesterday, Mr. Davis was passionate as he described the young men on the street corner in his East Baltimore district, standing around with no job, no light, no hope.  We will try to make people see the connection between bad tax policy, bad social policy and misplaced priorities to these scenes of despair.

      On March 23, 2006 at 1PM, the bill will get its first hearing in the House Ways and Means Committee.  If we get the support of the Baltimore City delegation as a body, along with the timely and unexpected revival of Mayor Martin O'Malley's interest, we may have a real chance for success.  Your CSE and HGF will be represented.

      As always, any publicity, suggestions or ideas are welcome.  LVT supporters are a plucky few, and we need to help one another find angles and avenues to success.

      Yours,
      Joshua Vincent, Director
      Center for the Study of Economics
      1518 Walnut Street, Suite 604