Re: [LandCafe] Thoughts on seminar (fwd)

  • Jeffery Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2006
      On Feb 28, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Carol Wilcox
      [mailto:carol.wilcox@...] wrote:

      > I really don't see why we have to convince the electorate about the
      > benefits of LVT. People will vote for expenditure - no one votes for a
      > tax.

      So propose a rent dividend, not a land tax? The benefit of popular
      support is to not only win a more fundamental reform, but aalso to keep
      it (unlike almost every past example which has disappeared) and to
      spread it (if you're not expanding, you're shrinking).

      > There is a new generation, who will forever be worse off than their
      > parents, for
      > whom LVT could be a very attractive policy.

      Yet youth prefer what's inspiring, sexy, and a dividend beats a tax,
      hands down.

      > What is important is to get cross-party support.

      Meanwhile, certainly.

      > We could help by giving serious thought as to how to implement (as
      > JohnL recently suggested).

      If what's implemented is merely a small shift in percentages, how big a
      problem is that? If what's implemented is full collection of site rent,
      maybe all rents, then it seems that you need to talk phase in _and_ pay
      back with a dividend.

      SMITH, Jeffery J., President, Forum on Geonomics
      7536 SE Milwaukie Av, Portland Oregon 97202 USA
      503/232-1337; jjs@...; www.geonomics.org
      Share Earth's worth to prosper and conserve.