FW: CHRIS HUHNE

  • Brian Hodgson [mailto:brianhodgson@btint
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2006
      From: Brian Hodgson [mailto:brianhodgson@...]
      Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 3:12 PM
      To: Wetzel Dave
      Subject: CHRIS HUHNE

      CHRIS HUHNE'S MANIFESTO FOR THE LEADERSHIP OF THE LIB. DEM.S

      Extract on the case for LAND VALUE TAX

      "The old Liberal Democrat idea of taxing land values would provide an
      incentive to build in many decaying cities and towns. Owners would pay the tax whether they built or not, which would give them an incentive to do so.

      By reforming the Business Rate to be based on land values, we can capture rising values when the public sector invests in improvements such as tube lines. That would allow local authorities to invest in public transport for the first time knowing that they would get the revenue to pay for it.

      But we can also tax the vacant land owned by building firms, ensuring that they bring forward development rather than hoard land. We should tax the land banks, and we should equalise VAT on renovations and new build to encourage old stock to be brought into new use."

      This is an extract from a section headed " Revived Towns and Cities".

      Brian Hodgson
      01993 891310 phone/fax
      brianhodgson@... <mailto:brianhodgson@...>

      February 2006