Re: Spot the less greedy landlord

  • jdk_maryland_atty
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011
      I've seen your proposal in this regard before and still don't see how it solves the problem. Since our neighborhoods are not economically integrated, it will just be the wealthy sharing the rent collusively with each other while poorer neighborhoods will share a sliver with each other. The point is that land is for everybody.
      There are definately merits to subsidiarity (pushing things down to the lowest level possible like the neighborhood), but there are many things that cannot be done at that level so there is the flip side of solidarity which binds us together for larger common goods. Didn't Texas' property tax as a vehicle for funding schools get all messed up because they created these crazy germandered districts such that no commercial land was falling within school districts so there was no way to fund the schools.

      You will just get crazy and likely racist gerrymandered so-called "neighborhood" associations. Or worse nutjobs claiming they are sovereigns (or neighborhoods) unto themselves.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2011

        David,

        Collecting 100% of the Rent – not the rack-rent – is the proper policy.

        Anything else is the art of the possible – politics.

        If your goal is a pallid pretense of full Rent collection, try something else. Should you succeed in the ‘pretense’ – very doubtful - it is unlikely to advance any further.

        Harry

        Henry George School of Los Angeles

        10242 Mahogany Trail

        Tujunga  CA 91042