Re: Why is no one here talking about Greece?

  • jdk_maryland_atty
    Message 1 of 102 , Jul 7, 2011
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston1" <roy_langston1@...> wrote:

      > > And two, on the other hand, functionality and value
      > > are related.
      >
      > "Related" is not the same as "equivalent."

      Which is why I used the doggone word "related" instead of "equivalent".

      > > But in the case of residential property, especially
      > > where there is zoning for residential (especially
      > > zoning for a particular kind of residential (single
      > > family) you have the "best use" and the relationship
      > > between function and value is pretty closely tied.
      >
      > It's fairly close, but not exact.

      Yes, not exact. Because, "there is no true value".

      > > > If the property would sell
      > > > for the same price without or without the house,
      > > > the house has no value. It's just that simple.
      > >
      > > This is a sound generalization, but it doesn't
      > > flow in any way from your prior statement, either
      > > in theory or in practical terms.
      >
      > Right, because the logic goes the other way: the
      > generalization explains the particular fact.
      >
      > > Nor does it deal with the super distressed
      > > neighborhood, where nobody wants to buy the
      > > empty lot next door either.
      >
      > ?? How does it "not deal with" such cases?

      > > There are times when the location is so bad that
      > > it really does create a negative externality.
      >
      > It's possible but extremely rare.

      Have you ever been to parts of Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis?

      There is nothing extremely rare about this at all? Why do you think there are numerous cities losing population.

      > > "That's a great house, but I just couldn't live
      > > their with my family because the schools are so
      > > bad and the crime is (or is perceived to be) so
      > > high and the taxes (that part that falls on
      > > improvements is so high in comparison to outside
      > > the city.)"
      >
      > Other potential buyers might not care so much about
      > the schools or crime.

      What do you mean other potential buyers? For a single lot. Like I said there are auctions where no one shows up.

      > > I think that perhaps there can be a situation
      > > where land value is, at times, negative.
      >
      > Of course, and I have identified some. But it can only
      > happen when ownership carries a financial liability
      > that exceeds the economic benefits of use, such as an
      > obligation to remediate contaminated soil, liens that
      > must be satisfied, etc.

      No, it is not just a "financial liability". Human beings are not financial robots. There are other motivations beyond financial, such as moral and social considerations. Otherwise, why would anyone vote?
      Surely, you've heard of the two economist who notice each other in line to vote: "If you don't tell anyone, I won't."

      Even outside of the urban situation, consider farming communities on the great prairie. Ghost towns because people are just not interested in being farmers isolated from associations that drive progress.
    • roy_langston1
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 18, 2011
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...>
        wrote:

        > Henry George was adamant that full Land Value Tax,
        > the Single Tax, would mean all would gain, no losers.

        I don't recall him saying that, and it certainly isn't
        true. Many people will lose, especially in the
        transition period. That is why we must design the
        transition to be as painless as possible for the great
        majority of landowners: those who own only the land
        under their dwellings. And that is why restoring the
        equal individual right to liberty through a universal
        individual exemption (or, second best, a CD) is crucial
        to our success. This is something Henry George either
        did not understand or did not give enough weight to, or
        the exemption would have been a central feature of his
        Single Tax advocacy.

        > All boats rise on the same rising tide.

        Er, those who can't be bothered swimming or walking are
        drowned by a rising tide.

        > * Will the corporations still be loyal to the US?

        Is a tapeworm loyal to its host?

        > * Will they do everything to get the LVT
        > implementing government out?

        Yes. And that will include assassination. Let's not
        kid ourselves on that score. This is serious business,
        and the vital interests of some very powerful and
        deeply evil people are at stake.