Re: [LandCafe] Re: Why is no one here talking about Greece?

  • Wyn Achenbaum
    Message 1 of 102 , Jul 2 5:03 AM
      Well said.  Thanks for stating it clearly.  Megapixels always make the picture clearer.

      On 7/1/2011 11:35 PM, roy_langston1 wrote:

      Wyn Achenbaum wrote:

      > Some of those demolitions have little to do with
      > the house itself and more to do with changes in the
      > quality of the location. It may have transitioned
      > from middle-class to upper middle class, or
      > residential to commercial.

      Of course. But there's a difference between
      depreciation (loss of value) and deterioration (loss
      of functionality). If a change in conditions means
      a brand new house does not add anything to the
      property value, its value has declined to equal its
      salvage (possibly relocation) value. Just because
      a house may be nice and perfectly good to live in
      doesn't mean it has any value. If the property would
      sell for the same price without or without the house,
      the house has no value. It's just that simple.

      home: 203-539-1484 (google voice, replacing 322-6145)
      cell: 203-722-1644

    • roy_langston1
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 18 6:17 PM
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...>
        wrote:

        > Henry George was adamant that full Land Value Tax,
        > the Single Tax, would mean all would gain, no losers.

        I don't recall him saying that, and it certainly isn't
        true. Many people will lose, especially in the
        transition period. That is why we must design the
        transition to be as painless as possible for the great
        majority of landowners: those who own only the land
        under their dwellings. And that is why restoring the
        equal individual right to liberty through a universal
        individual exemption (or, second best, a CD) is crucial
        to our success. This is something Henry George either
        did not understand or did not give enough weight to, or
        the exemption would have been a central feature of his
        Single Tax advocacy.

        > All boats rise on the same rising tide.

        Er, those who can't be bothered swimming or walking are
        drowned by a rising tide.

        > * Will the corporations still be loyal to the US?

        Is a tapeworm loyal to its host?

        > * Will they do everything to get the LVT
        > implementing government out?

        Yes. And that will include assassination. Let's not
        kid ourselves on that score. This is serious business,
        and the vital interests of some very powerful and
        deeply evil people are at stake.