Re: Calculating the value of residential properties, separate from land parcels

  • roy_langston1
    Message 1 of 102 , Jul 1 8:43 PM
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Dodson"
      <ejdodson@...> wrote:

      > The basic calculation of the value of a residential
      > property that does not have some unique historical
      > or architectural value (i.e., value -- as Harry
      > Pollard would say -- because it is a collectible)
      > is replacement cost less depreciation.

      No, the market could not care less about replacement
      cost. The value of improvements is the difference
      between what the property would sell for with them
      and without them. The "land-residual" value
      calculation Ed described above is what leads to
      anomalies like the aggregate value of all the
      corporate-owned land in the USA being negative.

      -- Roy Langston
    • roy_langston1
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 18 6:17 PM
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...>
        wrote:

        > Henry George was adamant that full Land Value Tax,
        > the Single Tax, would mean all would gain, no losers.

        I don't recall him saying that, and it certainly isn't
        true. Many people will lose, especially in the
        transition period. That is why we must design the
        transition to be as painless as possible for the great
        majority of landowners: those who own only the land
        under their dwellings. And that is why restoring the
        equal individual right to liberty through a universal
        individual exemption (or, second best, a CD) is crucial
        to our success. This is something Henry George either
        did not understand or did not give enough weight to, or
        the exemption would have been a central feature of his
        Single Tax advocacy.

        > All boats rise on the same rising tide.

        Er, those who can't be bothered swimming or walking are
        drowned by a rising tide.

        > * Will the corporations still be loyal to the US?

        Is a tapeworm loyal to its host?

        > * Will they do everything to get the LVT
        > implementing government out?

        Yes. And that will include assassination. Let's not
        kid ourselves on that score. This is serious business,
        and the vital interests of some very powerful and
        deeply evil people are at stake.