RE: [LandCafe] Re: Calculating the value of residential properties, separate from land parcels

  • Edward Dodson
    Message 1 of 102 , Jul 1, 2011
      Walt wrote:

      Hmmmm. I can think of other sorts of cases. My wife's family has an old
      farm house in southern Arkansas, in the middle of nowhere that's nearly
      useless down there, but would make a nice house on Cape Cod if the moving
      costs weren't made prohibitive by the fact that it'd have to be sawn in
      half. Generally, I'd think the decision to move a house would generally be
      a matter of comparing the cost of moving it with the cost of constructing
      something similar in the other place.

      Ed Dodson here:
      To some potential buyer the farm house is more of a collectible than a
      dwelling. There are cases where such homes are deconstructed, each piece
      identified and reassembled in some distant location. The ultimate value of
      the property when finished in the new location may be less than the full
      cost of the land plus the costs associated with moving the building. The
      number of variables is too great to generalize. Another reason for moving a
      dwelling from one site to another would be condemnation under eminent domain
      (e.g., to make way for a new highway).
    • roy_langston1
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 18, 2011
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...>
        wrote:

        > Henry George was adamant that full Land Value Tax,
        > the Single Tax, would mean all would gain, no losers.

        I don't recall him saying that, and it certainly isn't
        true. Many people will lose, especially in the
        transition period. That is why we must design the
        transition to be as painless as possible for the great
        majority of landowners: those who own only the land
        under their dwellings. And that is why restoring the
        equal individual right to liberty through a universal
        individual exemption (or, second best, a CD) is crucial
        to our success. This is something Henry George either
        did not understand or did not give enough weight to, or
        the exemption would have been a central feature of his
        Single Tax advocacy.

        > All boats rise on the same rising tide.

        Er, those who can't be bothered swimming or walking are
        drowned by a rising tide.

        > * Will the corporations still be loyal to the US?

        Is a tapeworm loyal to its host?

        > * Will they do everything to get the LVT
        > implementing government out?

        Yes. And that will include assassination. Let's not
        kid ourselves on that score. This is serious business,
        and the vital interests of some very powerful and
        deeply evil people are at stake.