Re: Why is no one here talking about Greece? [1 Attachment]

  • roy_langston1
    Message 1 of 102 , Jun 28, 2011

      > 800,000 for the median home? I'm presuming
      > Australian Dollars, which if the calculator I'v found
      > is correct would be 835K in US dollars. The median US
      > home is 158K

      The number Bryan gave was for a suburb, so presumably
      the homes are almost all SFD. The US median is for all
      homes, many of which are condos -- maybe even including
      mobile homes on rented pads, I don't know.

      > So the first thing I'd like to know is how the heck
      > can any Aussie own a home?

      You mean BUY one...?

      > Having a median home price more than 3 times median
      > household income can't possible be sustainable.

      Internationally, there are many places where median home
      prices are 10 times or 20 times median income, and have
      been for a long time.

      -- Roy Langston
    • roy_langston1
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 18, 2011
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...>
        wrote:

        > Henry George was adamant that full Land Value Tax,
        > the Single Tax, would mean all would gain, no losers.

        I don't recall him saying that, and it certainly isn't
        true. Many people will lose, especially in the
        transition period. That is why we must design the
        transition to be as painless as possible for the great
        majority of landowners: those who own only the land
        under their dwellings. And that is why restoring the
        equal individual right to liberty through a universal
        individual exemption (or, second best, a CD) is crucial
        to our success. This is something Henry George either
        did not understand or did not give enough weight to, or
        the exemption would have been a central feature of his
        Single Tax advocacy.

        > All boats rise on the same rising tide.

        Er, those who can't be bothered swimming or walking are
        drowned by a rising tide.

        > * Will the corporations still be loyal to the US?

        Is a tapeworm loyal to its host?

        > * Will they do everything to get the LVT
        > implementing government out?

        Yes. And that will include assassination. Let's not
        kid ourselves on that score. This is serious business,
        and the vital interests of some very powerful and
        deeply evil people are at stake.