Re: Spot the land taxer /find a rack renter

  • roy_langston1
    Message 1 of 64 , May 8 12:25 PM
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Pollard" <henrygeorgeschool@...> wrote:

      > Here's what I said:
      >
      > "Roy wants to collect 100% of rack-rent, or
      > the amount now collected by landholders. He
      > apparently believes that the 100% collection
      > of rack-rent would keep the poorest at
      > subsistence level, whereupon he would help
      > them out with his exemption notion."

      Harry seems often to be much keener on quoting
      what he said I said than on quoting what I
      actually said.

      > This is what Roy says.

      Direct, verbatim, in-context quote to that
      effect? Of course not.

      > As one of the few members - perhaps the only
      > member - of Roy's supporters, you should check
      > out what he says.

      As by far my most vocal and industrious detractor,
      perhaps Harry should.

      > He has made no attempt to hide this idea. This
      > is what he believes.

      Again, claims about what I believe would be more
      interesting if accompanied by direct, verbatim,
      in-context quotes of what I have said.

      > (He doesn't believe as you do that the margin
      > would come galloping in with full rent
      > collection - not full rack-rent collection.)

      I won't presume to know what Walter believes,
      as I can recall no direct, verbatim, in-context
      quote where he expresses his opinion on that
      question either way.

      > I'll repeat. Georgist analysis suggests that
      > heavy collection, and eventually full
      > collection, of rent will end rack-rent.

      IMO that would more accurately be described as
      Pollardian analysis.

      > This, because the economic consequences of
      > rent collection will stimulate a flood of now
      > unused and under-used land on to the market.

      But no flood of demand from productive people
      now keeping their full wages, or investors
      and entrepreneurs keeping the full profits of
      their enterprise...?

      > In such a situation, rack-rent is
      > unsustainable.

      If it ever existed.

      > You have agreed that the margin would gallop
      > in, thereby reducing rack-rent,

      I don't recall Walter saying that.

      Quote?

      > but you still appear to accept Roy's argument
      > that rack-rent would continue with landholders
      > grabbing everything it's possible to grab from
      > tenants.

      That is what market rent IS.

      > I would love to know how they can do this with
      > so much land flooding the market.

      Maybe through demand also flooding the market?

      > The construction industry (perhaps a quarter
      > of the economy) would be bursting at the seams.

      Presumably building on land that yields little
      rent, for reasons that seem somewhat obscure.

      > This is a more attractive picture than Roy's
      > with its prediction that rack-rent would
      > continue and that poor people would need to
      > benefit from a rent tax exemption.

      While it might be a more attractive picture, it
      does not seem to me to be an accurate one.

      Message 64 of 64 , Jul 22, 2011
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston1" <roy_langston1@...> wrote:

        > > If prices drop, so does rack-rent increase,
        > > maintaining wages at subsistence.
        >
        > There is no rack-rent involved, as land users
        > are perfectly at liberty to just deal with less
        > greedy landowners. What would stop them? The
        > position of the margin is unaffected, so Harry
        > has to invoke some sort of mystical landowner
        > rack-renting power to keep wages at subsistence.
        >
        > -- Roy Langston

        I take it that Harry is considering a place with a limited number of parcels where landowners can basically take all that isn't needed to keep their tenants alive. Imagine, e.g., an island with one landlord. The residents need to live someplace, so they'd be at this owner's mercy. In such a place, if the prices of tenant-consumed goods dropped, nothing would prevent the owner from raising rents to take the difference, would it?