Re: Spot the land taxer /find a rack renter

    Message 1 of 64 , May 8, 2011
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Pollard" <henrygeorgeschool@...> wrote:

      > Walter,
      >
      > You say my statement is demonstrably false. So go ahead and demonstrate.

      What's the point? He's done it himself about 50 times--you just post the same stuff anyhow.

      Message 64 of 64 , Jul 22, 2011
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston1" <roy_langston1@...> wrote:

        > > If prices drop, so does rack-rent increase,
        > > maintaining wages at subsistence.
        >
        > There is no rack-rent involved, as land users
        > are perfectly at liberty to just deal with less
        > greedy landowners. What would stop them? The
        > position of the margin is unaffected, so Harry
        > has to invoke some sort of mystical landowner
        > rack-renting power to keep wages at subsistence.
        >
        > -- Roy Langston

        I take it that Harry is considering a place with a limited number of parcels where landowners can basically take all that isn't needed to keep their tenants alive. Imagine, e.g., an island with one landlord. The residents need to live someplace, so they'd be at this owner's mercy. In such a place, if the prices of tenant-consumed goods dropped, nothing would prevent the owner from raising rents to take the difference, would it?