Re: Capitalism: A Love Story

  • Scott on the Spot
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2011
      I'm doing my best! See my Georgist-oriented review of this movie in this archived issue of Common Ground's GroundSwell:
      http://commonground-usa.net/so09MMoore.html

      > I watched this flick yesterday on Netflix, and came to the conclusion that geoists really DO need to get to Moore, who seems to me, in a sense, completely lost.
      >
      > The main thrust and the solutions offered in his movie are both naive and propagandistic, although several of the individual stories are quite compelling and disturbing. I'm thinking in particular of the CitiGroup "Plutonomy Memo" and the "Dead Peasant" corporate life insurance policies companies take out on their employees. Also the privatized juvenile facility in PA, where money could be made by judges, simply by keeping kids behind bars. That stuff is certainly outrageous. I also liked (and agree with) his sketch of Reagan's rise to power.
      >
      > But union sit-ins and foreclosure revolts are not really going to do anything to improve the lot of Americans. Unearned economic rents have to be redistributed. Without that, the plutonomy is a death spiral. Moore seems pretty clueless, apparently believing that a little more union (and Roman Catholic) influence on the economy might return America to the 1950s world of good manufacturing jobs on which he looks back so lovingly.

    • roy_langston1
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2011
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "DavidH"
        <discodave1974@...> wrote:

        > The question is, how?

        By abolishing privilege or, where that is not possible,
        recovering its publicly created value for public purposes
        and benefit.

        > Who decides who gets what ?

        The (privilege-) free market.