Descendant of HG

  • David Reed
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16 5:10 AM
      Robley E George is down as a great grandson of HG on Co-operative Individualism site.
    • Wyn Achenbaum
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16 6:10 PM
        I've done some digging on ancestry.com, and I'm somewhat skeptical that Robley is related.  I've not gotten to anything definitive yet.    I've found another Robley George in the 1930 and 1920 censuses (Robley E. George was born in 1931, according to his website) who could well be his father, but that Robley George appears to have been born in Michigan circa 1904 of parents born in Minnesota and Ohio; his mother Bertha remarried to a William Yonachek by 1920.

        There is another Robley George in the 1910 census in Oakland, California, born 1901, living with his parents Thomas George, age 35 (b. ~1875) and Rina George, age 29 (b. ~ 1881).   Thomas was born in California to parents both born in New York, according to what was reported to the census taker.    Thomas and Rina were married in 1897.

        I don't see this Thomas George fitting in as a son of any of Henry George's brothers -- Thomas, b. ca. 1846, and John, b. ca. 1848.

        I find Robley George's website a bit puzzling.

        I've got a month to month subscription to ancestry.com, but will be letting it go shortly, so if you do some searching there and want me to pursue something, ask me within the next week or two!  You can see a certain amount without a membership, but to look at the original census records requires a subscription.  The data there is pretty amazing, though one needs to know that the 1890 census data vanished in a fire, so there are some gaping holes.  The newest census data available online is 1930's.

        Wyn

        --
        home: 203-539-1484 (google voice, replacing 322-6145)
        cell: 203-722-1644

      • Jason
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17 6:04 PM

          Hi Wyn,

          Well, there are only two possible descendents of Henry George that I can think of that could be the (supposed) ancestors of Robley George.

          (1). Henry George's oldest son, Henry George, Jr. ((November 3, 1862 – November 14, 1916). His wife was  Marie Morel Hitch (b. Jan. 22, 1879) whom he  married on December 2, 1897.

          (2) Richard F. George (1865–September 28, 1912)

          I suppose there's a third possibility, though I assume unlikely. Henry George's youngest daughter, Anna Angela George, gave birth to Agnes DeMille and Margaret George DeMille. Margaret, who later became an actress, changed her name to Peggy George. Now I suppose she could have had at least one child with her last name (George), but I suspect that would be very unlikely since that would have probably been very much "frowned upon" in her (more socially conservative) time. (Also, since she was Henry George's granddaughter, she would have to be Robley's mother if she was the "genealogical link" to Henry George.)

          Hope that helps, (but I wouldn't be surprised if you knew all this already!)

          ----Jason

          P.S. Thanks to Dave for directing me to the Cooperative Individualism website. That's probably where I read it before!

        • Joshua Vincent
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 17 6:33 PM
            Only one man  knows: Richard Biddle
            Joshua Vincent, Executive Director
            Center for the Study of Economics
            413 South 10th Street
            Philadelphia, PA 19147
            215.923.7800 Extension 1
            www.urbantools.org
            www.ourcommonwealth.org

            The Center for the Study of Economics is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit educational foundation.
            Our mission is to research land value taxation, to assist governments in implementation and to study the effect of land based property taxation where used. We suggest implementation where appropriate but do not support political candidates or become involved in the electoral process.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 17 6:53 PM
              Jason,

              I've interleaved what I've got.  Do you have a source for the middle name Morel for HG, Jr's wife, Marie Hitch, and one for her birthdate?

              On 3/17/2011 9:04 PM, Jason wrote:

              Hi Wyn,

              Well, there are only two possible descendents of Henry George that I can think of that could be the (supposed) ancestors of Robley George.

              (1). Henry George's oldest son, Henry George, Jr. ((November 3, 1862 – November 14, 1916). His wife was  Marie Morel Hitch (b. Jan. 22, 1879) whom he  married on December 2, 1897.

              3 children:
              Mary Pocatrice George, b. 1899
              Jane Caroline George, b. 1906
              HG III, b.  1908

              (2) Richard F. George (1865–September 28, 1912)

              I  show 3 daughters,
              Mary V. George, b. Aug 1899
              Ruth B. George, b. Nov. 1890
              Helen L. J. George, b. abt 1902

              I suppose there's a third possibility, though I assume unlikely. Henry George's youngest daughter, Anna Angela George, gave birth to Agnes DeMille and Margaret George DeMille. Margaret, who later became an actress, changed her name to Peggy George. Now I suppose she could have had at least one child with her last name (George), but I suspect that would be very unlikely since that would have probably been very much "frowned upon" in her (more socially conservative) time. (Also, since she was Henry George's granddaughter, she would have to be Robley's mother if she was the "genealogical link" to Henry George.)

              Hope that helps, (but I wouldn't be surprised if you knew all this already!)

              ----Jason

              P.S. Thanks to Dave for directing me to the Cooperative Individualism website. That's probably where I read it before!

              __.

              To be specific, we've not discussed any of the other descendants and younger nieces/nephews, of whom there are several I'm aware of, none of whom seem to have expressed significant interest in HG's ideas.  Most of us with adult children are familiar with the experience.  (So were my late grandparents!  Don't abandon hope.  Leave good files, libraries and notes!)

              Wyn
              --
              home: 203-539-1484 (google voice, replacing 322-6145)
              cell: 203-722-1644

            • mason gaffney
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 18 5:09 AM

                Butdoes anyone know how to find Richard?  He’s gone silent the last 3 mos or so.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19 3:33 PM
                  Actually, Richard is due to be a guest speaker at our Common Ground meeting next Saturday where we will show a short clip on The Landlord's Game followed by questions.