RE: [LandCafe] Re: Economic Growth and Rail

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 8, 2011

      I understand the upcoming UK Olympics is expected to cost the taxpayers more than $2 billion.

      Angelenos were asked to vote to use taxes to create the various structures and venues needed for their Olympic Games. They turned it down decisively, so the Olympic Committee was forced to use existing possibilities.  This spread out various contests across Southern California, but came up with a resounding success. In fact, the Games made a profit of about $300 million for the US Olympic Committee.

      The crucial point was that the people were asked to decide. When they are not, the politicians are likely - perhaps inevitably – to go overboard with their expensive ideas. After all, it’s not their money.

      I wonder how much debt will need to be paid off by UK taxpayers in 2012?

      Harry

      Henry George School of Los Angeles

      Box 655  Tujunga  CA 91042

      (818) 352-4141