JS Mill on land tax

  • David Reed
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2011
      @walto
      Have skimmed most of Science of Political Economy (650 pages).Plenty of good stuff including an expert linguistic deconstruction of concept of "property" by George BUT cannot find a point-by-point dismantling of Mill proposal.Can you steer me in the right (or more narrow) direction?

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2011

        > @walto
        > Have skimmed most of Science of Political Economy (650 pages).Plenty of good stuff including an expert linguistic deconstruction of concept of "property" by George BUT cannot find a point-by-point dismantling of Mill proposal.Can you steer me in the right (or more narrow) direction?

        I don't think he spends that much time on Mill's land gain tax proposal, but there's a chapter criticizing Mill's concept of ownership, and another on his views regarding distribution of wealth. (Near the end of the book.) As I said in my last post, I think he believed that what he took to be Mill's mistaken proposal followed from his other mistakes. IIRC, there's not too much specifically on ANY tax proposal in that book--including George's own. He probably felt he'd already discussed his solution adequately in his earlier books, pamphlets, and campaign materials.