Re: Church and George

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 24 12:02 PM
      Wyn,

      Henry Law.....

      One other way of looking at the issue may be helpful. The government takes in about 500 billion a year, (though nearly half is paid out again, but that does not matter for the purposes of this illustration). One way of collecting it would be as a poll tax, which would make every man woman and child liable to about £8,500 a year if my arithmetic is right.

      The UK has 60 million people and 60 million acres. So, approx £8,500 per year per acre would be needed.

      An acre in Mayfair in London is off the price scale. So clawing back say a million on one of those acres may be about right - I am guessing there.   An acre in central London contains many buildings.

      UK  has approximately only 7.5% of its land settled upon. The Urban plot of 4 million acres is only 6.6%.  That 6.6% would have to raise most of the LVT.

      So, LVT may just do do.