The Train - Capturing the value of . . .

  • eric britton
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2011

      Dave Wetzel has this morning passed on this URL -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Jb-rlXJYg  -- which will take you to a 5 minute clip produced by Fred Harrison. It looks into the anomaly hereby  taxpayers finance infrastructure investments that create high value, that are captured not by the public as a whole but by the lucky individual landowners whose real estate values rise, often hugely, as a result of these public investments.

      This is the whole concept in a nutshell of Value Capture, a valuable tool which is not being used or even much talked about, other than in exceptional circumstances,

      Bottom line: Value Capture is a key element of the New Mobility Agenda strategy. Every public investments  So we all will do well to learn more about it and push the idea when the opportunity arises.

      For more discussion of this, I invite you to go to http://tinyurl.com/landcafe-facebook and/or http://tinyurl.com/landcafe

      Eric Britton

      - - - > Would you like to support World Streets?  If so please click to http://wp.me/PsKUY-BD .

      | 8-10, rue Joseph Bara 75006 Paris.  | +331 75503788. | eric.britton@...  |  Skype:  newmobility  |

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2011
        Thanks to you both. Very enjoyable and informative vid.

        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "eric britton" <eric.britton@...> wrote:

        > Dave Wetzel has this morning passed on this URL --
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Jb-rlXJYg -- which will take you to a 5
        > minute clip produced by Fred Harrison. It looks into the anomaly hereby
        > taxpayers finance infrastructure investments that create high value, that
        > are captured not by the public as a whole but by the lucky individual
        > landowners whose real estate values rise, often hugely, as a result of these
        > public investments.
        >

        > This is the whole concept in a nutshell of Value Capture, a valuable tool
        > which is not being used or even much talked about, other than in exceptional
        > circumstances,
        >

        > Bottom line: Value Capture is a key element of the New Mobility Agenda
        > strategy. Every public investments So we all will do well to learn more
        > about it and push the idea when the opportunity arises.
        >

        > For more discussion of this, I invite you to go to
        > http://tinyurl.com/landcafe-facebook and/or http://tinyurl.com/landcafe
        >

        > Eric Britton
        >

        > - - - > Would you like to support World Streets? If so please click to
        > <http://wp.me/PsKUY-BD> http://wp.me/PsKUY-BD .
        >

        > | 8-10, rue Joseph Bara 75006 Paris. | +331 75503788. |
        > <mailto:eric.britton@...> eric.britton@... |
        > Skype: newmobility |
        >

        > Read World Streets at <http://worldstreets.org/> http://worldstreets.org |

        > weekly edition: Click <http://wp.me/P15YEC-a2> here

        > edition: Click <http://nuovamobilita.wordpress.com/media/abbonamenti/> here
        >
        > New Mobility Partnerships – <http://www.newmobility.org/>
        > http://www.newmobility.org

      • eric britton
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 24, 2011

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 24, 2011
            --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "eric britton" <eric.britton@...> wrote:

            > Dave Wetzel has this morning passed on this URL --
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Jb-rlXJYg -- which will take you to a 5
            > minute clip produced by Fred Harrison. It looks into the anomaly hereby
            > taxpayers finance infrastructure investments that create high value, that
            > are captured not by the public as a whole but by the lucky individual
            > landowners whose real estate values rise, often hugely, as a result of these
            > public investments.

            Does anyone have a source citation for Harrison's claim that extending the London line increased land values by four times its cost?

            -ds
          • Gareth Doutch
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 24, 2011
              See http://www.cooperativeindividualism.org/dodson-edward_wheels-of-fortune-review.html

              Cheers,

              Gareth

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 24, 2011

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 24, 2011
                  Capturing the economic value that trains create will make them self funding.

                  Quotes from the video....
                  1. "Passengers pay twice"
                  2. "trains pay for themselves"
                  3. "trains more than covers their costs"
                  4. "governments can pay for railways without taxing their citizens"
                  5. "investment in railways yields huge profits"
                  6. "the problem is the way governments pay for the capital they invest in the tracks and rolling stock"
                  7. "Payback is like winning the lottery"
                  8. "The Jublee line raised productivity in the London economy"
                  9. "[Jublilee Line] every one pound invested a payback of 4 pounds"
                  10. "That is what railways do, make the economy more efficient"
                  11. "Who pocketed the fat profit? Not the shareholders, not the taxpayers, wages were not raised"
                  12. "profits cascaded into the profits of the land owners"
                  13. "taxes destroy jobs"
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 24, 2011
                    --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "DanS" <director@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "eric britton" <eric.britton@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dave Wetzel has this morning passed on this URL --
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Jb-rlXJYg -- which will take you to a 5
                    > > minute clip produced by Fred Harrison. It looks into the anomaly hereby
                    > > taxpayers finance infrastructure investments that create high value, that
                    > > are captured not by the public as a whole but by the lucky individual
                    > > landowners whose real estate values rise, often hugely, as a result of these
                    > > public investments.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have a source citation for Harrison's claim that extending the London line increased land values by four times its cost?
                    >
                    > -ds

                    Dan, it is in his book, Ricardo's Law, page 84. He referenced it to:
                    Don Riley, Taken For a Ride, London Centre for Land Policy Studies, 2001.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 24, 2011
                      What do the US members think of TIF?

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_increment_financing