14462Re: Mansion Tax

    Nov 26, 2012

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@> wrote:
      >
      > > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "derekrss" <derekrss@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > He's now joined a few other people to
      > > > set up a party, The Young People's Party (UK),
      > > > to fight by-elections. Its manifesto is Georgist
      > > > as you can see on its website, http://www.yppuk.org/
      > >
      > > At polling only 39 votes in the Corby
      > > by-election a few weeks ago, it is clear
      > > their angle in putting it across is wrong.
      > > OK, they have no money.
      >
      > Calling it the "Young People's Party" is
      > self-evidently idiotic. Its appeal is limited
      > to the demographic that is not only the poorest,
      > least willing, and least able to make political
      > donations, but least likely to vote. Duh.
      > Call it the Raving Loony Party and be done with it.

      The Raving Loony Party started in the early 1960s as the National teenage Party - a single issue party to get the vote and age of consent down from 21 to 18. They achieved that.

      But young people had something to latch onto. It do not see them running headlong towards LVT thinking it will make their lives better.

      I did like the Raving Loony Party's economic policies in the late 80s/early 90s. It was do not stop digging the Channel Tunnel, go right under France and come up in Switzerland under the bank vaults - economy solved.

      Calling this Young People's Party (UK) something with "geo" in it would be better. Geo equals land which equals nature which equals eco which equals all we need to survive.

      That has abroad appeal. They had better drop Henry George and his Single Tax and go for all things "Geo".
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic