14456Re: CAP

    Nov 25, 2012

      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "k_r_johansen" <kjetil.r.johansen@...> wrote:

      > Well exactly. I didn't say there isn't land for urban expansion. But
      > neither is there any reason to believe farming won't be present any more
      > either. The difference with NZ is that a hypothetical doubling of built
      > land wouldn't impact as much farmland as in the UK. And turning land
      > close to urban areas into forests, is a political decision, as forestry
      > is less productive than farming on the same area basis.

      Even doubling the urban footprint in the UK to accommodate 120 million people, still will not impact farming land to a large degree. As I previously wrote, currently if real economics was applied to the UK, 27% of the land mass would be released. If the population was doubled then farming land would be more in demand. But that is all hypothetical.

      Far too much land is given over to agriculture, about 78%, which only accounts for about 2.5% of the  UK economy. The last time I looked the largest in Europe. In the meantime we all live in tiny hyper-expensive boxes.

      Forests near urban areas is a good thing for social purposes. Maybe the ridiculous Green Belts can be mainly forest.

    • Show all 43 messages in this topic