14298Re:Total land rent?

  • k_r_johansen
    Nov 13, 2012

      >First, I don't think a CD is necessary, nor wise, nor even a
      > sellable proposition.<

      I agree that there are political issues with a cash dividend. All over the western world, both a large portion of the right and left will oppose this. From the right you'll hear that everyone should work, and noone receive any "entitlements" (said very negatively), on the left, you'll hear that entitlements are fine, but that they must be conditional on either work, or being part of a certain group believed to be downtrodden, or not being part of the group labelled "the rich". As it happens, both groups will agree that there has to be a programme for ensuring that there's liquidity to pay for essentials in addition to the use of land for those who are in a rut. The right will either require bureacratic means-testing, and/or slightly demeaning make-work, and the left will also require means-testing (to avoid anyone "rich" getting any), and a "jobs programme", which usually is also slightly demeaning make-work.
      So instead of giving out a CD, where individuals on the lower margins can adjust between land use and essentials, we'll have a slightly more expensive apparatus to dole out cash or vouchers in addition to a UIE. If that's what it takes to satisfy the Righteous and Envious, that's fine as long as we have a sensible tax-system.

      Kj
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic