14270Re: LVT to be debated in Parliament?

  • derekrss
    Nov 11, 2012

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "derekrss" <derekrss@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm impressed that LVT seems to get occasional serious hearings in the UK. As I've said before, the U.S. is a wasteland.
      > > >

      > > I think that LVT gets the occasional serious hearing in the UK because we have heavyweight journalists such as Martin Wolf, Philip Inman, Samuel Brittan, and others, supporting it in the mainstream press; we have LVT lobbying groups in the form of the LLC and ALTER, within two of the three main political parties; and one of the minor parties, the Greens, have LVT as part of their manifesto. So a lot of people are doing their best to keep it to the forefront of public debate.
      > >
      > > But even with all that support, it's still an uphill struggle. All I can say is, "Well done, Caroline Lucas, for devoting your Private Member's Bill slot to it! Thank you".
      > >
      > > I suppose that if you want similar results in the US, you'll need a similar strategy. My impression with the US effort is that there's a lot of low-level effort aimed at changing things at a local level but not much at the Federal level. Hence the small successes but lack of national debate.
      > >
      > > But I'm not that familiar with the US situation, so I could be totally out to lunch on that. What do the USians think?
      > >

      > Yes, I think that's basically right. But more importantly, it is states that generally impose of real estate taxes of any kind, not the Federal government.

      Understood, Walto. However when I type "Democrats for LVT" into Google, I get results about the Liberals in the UK. Even worse, typing "Republicans for LVT" doesn't return anything relevant or useful. So I wonder if there might still be a place for internal lobbying groups for each main US party at a national level. The national level may not be important for Federal taxation purposes but as a way of promoting LVT at the local level it is important because when it comes to political parties, the national level generally leads the local level.

      On the Press side of things I don't know what to suggest. I suppose that the UK is just lucky to have a couple of national newspapers that are prepared to print favourable comment on LVT reasonably often. Luckily the Internet is making that less important than it used to be but it would be nice if the New York Times or US Today said something nice about LVT every month or two. Even every year or two would be an improvement!
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic