12160Re: Why don't companies promote LVT

    Nov 3, 2011
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston1" <roy_langston1@...> wrote:

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John"
      > <burns-john@> wrote:
      >
      > > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston1"
      > > <roy_langston1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > A rent seeking operation doesn't have to worry about
      > > > competition.
      > >
      > > Two office blocks next to each other. One is brand
      > > new the other 70 years old and tatty. Which gets
      > > the higher rents?
      >
      > That is an equivocation fallacy based on the term,
      > "rent." Getting higher revenue by creating more
      > value is not rent seeking.

      Ok, the new block will gain more revenue. A company that leases land and builds a block and rents it out, is doing no more than a car hire company. He takes risk, the landowner does not.

      Many block owners, own the land as well. This reduces outgoings as they pay no rent.

      > > Roy, most companies are not owned by privileged
      > > landowners.
      >
      > Yes, actually, they are.

      Roy, they are not. Some may be.

      > > Many companies may own land, and this is a part
      > > of the assets, but their main income is not land.
      >
      > And there may be a planet somewhere in the universe
      > where that would be relevant.

      Roy, by your definition all companies' main business is land. That is clearly not the case.

      > > > Most of those who understand the current injustice
      > > > want to go on taking advantage of it.
      > >
      > > I think they just don't know. As the girl friend
      > > said, "if they could get taxes down by shifting
      > > taxes, they would". She worked at high management
      > > levels in banks and some companies.
      >
      > Just not high ENOUGH, evidently...

      Maybe so, but high enough to operate at the level which involved taxation (in US companies and banks). They did all they could not to pay anything to any government. Currently they can shift and hide money too easily. She was so high in Romania she feared she may end up under the wheels of a large car - those at the top were creaming off millions for themselves as the Communist system broke up.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic