Re: [LancasterPaganCommunity] Pagan Scholar's Corner

  • Frater VON
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2012
      Which occult arts/old school mystery paths?

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2012
        (grin) Far too many to mention here, but Hermetic and Alchemy texts head the list. As well as many little known paths from China, Africa, Polynesian, Sumerian, Hebrew and so forth...

                      Crick

         Mother Earth Gemstones - Quality Specimens at great prices. A huge inventory to choose from.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2012
          Interesting. I look forward to reading your site. It may spark some good conversations.

          VON

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2012
            Greetings Von: Very cool. In a few weeks I would love to send you the link for a preview. I am always open to suggestions and good conversation.
            Basically, I am trying to bring together the many books and such, that modern folks,either are not aware of or which they don't seem to take much notice of.
            Nothing against Neo Pagans, but there is so much more to the mystical path than what is offered by modern paths such as Wicca.
            Perhaps by putting this information in one location, folks will be tempted to expand their thirst for such knowledge. However, at the end of the day, it is what works for each individual that matters, I guess.
            I personally am never satisfied and continually seek out knowledge that may sate my hunger for such information. Now that I am retired from the community after so many years, this hunger has no end in sight (grin)...

            Crick

            --- In LancasterPaganCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Frater VON <fratervon@...> wrote:

            > Interesting. I look forward to reading your site. It may spark some good
            > conversations.
            >
            > VON
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Frater VON
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
              Crick, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to preview your site.  Thank you! I agree with your comments relative to expanding one's knowledge of different traditions/paths/schools. In my humble opinion, with no offense intended to any particular group, I do not believe that any one path/religion/tradition adequately explains our connection with the Divine - with the Universe. While each of the various paths/religions/traditions contain certain truths none of them are universal. Each is limited to the extent that they were originally organized by men/women who were expressing their understanding of the Divine.  Personally, my spiritual growth comes from meditating on the universal truths which are hidden behind the concepts outlined in various paths/religions/traditions. Hence, my interest in your new website. Again, thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge.

              Blessings

              VON

            • Crickjump@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
                Greetings Von: We seem to have similar views when it comes to this topic.
                I have been accused over the years of having disdain for Wicca. This is true only when put into the proper context.
                I originally looked at Wicca in 1975 and was turned off by the blatant elitism and the arrogance that was expressed by the leaders of that particular religion. My sense was that they were trying to duplicate the efforts of their Christian counterparts and were trying to make Wicca the learning curve for paganism. These efforts extended to denying the existence of pagans (witch) like myself who did not adhere to Gardner's ethos.
                My personal opinion at that time and to this very day, is that they have a long ways to go before they truly understand the mystical path that they  claim to represent. And in spite of their altruism's , "and thee shall harm none, Love and light" and so forth, I have encountered a massive amount of hypocrisy from such folks.
                For example I have been demonized every time I wrote and had published an article on the community. At over 200 articles, you can imagine the situation. I have had threats of violence made against my family members and myself by such folks, with the most recent one being made last year during the time of Samhain, a time that I personally consider to be very special.
                I have been dogged to the point where I have been followed from one local group to another and then Round Robin ed (each member of the adverse Wiccan group) taking turns at besmirching my name, for over seven years now. This started as a result of me offering pagan related courses for free. Those Trolls are now all gathered at the HOME site and my name still pops up in their conversations, in spite of holding out the olive branch a number of times and then finally ignoring such children all together.
                In 2000, I was Black Balled until recently, by the original Open Hearth Foundation in Washington D.C. which is primarily a Wiccan organization for expressing a personal opinion that they disagreed with and so on and so forth.
                Yet in spite of the numerous and divergent experiences I have had with various leaders of Wicca, I still respect the decisions of the lay members to associate with Wicca. Whatever works for the individual is what matters.
                I have however, little to no respect for the leaders of Wicca who have set such a negative demeanor over the years. And yet there are exceptions even to this statement (and I think she knows who she is, grin).
                But back on topic, circa 2004 or 2005, I was offered a 2nd degree within the Alexander path, with a 3rd, degree in the offering, which was simply awaiting a 3rd degree Alexandrian who was qualified to bestow it, if you will. I politely turned it down for personal reasons, and that in turn became a firestorm. How dare I turn down such an offer! (sigh).
                And so yes, I do have a certain amount of disdain for the leaders of Wicca and the way that they represent their basic information, but not for it's members.
                Oftentimes, a religion will be started, often on the backs of religions that have gone before it, and instead of allowing the newly formed religion to attain a certain level of maturity and thus wisdom, there is a jump right to being the "learning curve" for all others. I personally see this as a form of insecurity, for in forty years of concerted study of world religions and/or spiritual paths, I have yet to find one that stands above the rest. This is why as a witch, I state that I follow a mystical spiritual path and not a religion.
                Religions of whatever flavor are stymied by dogma which is formed and proffered by the individual/s forming a particular religion, as you so kindly pointed out brother.
                A mystical, spiritual path is unfettered by such dogma and thus has room to grow and expand beyond such restrictions.
                In closing, I want to make it clear that in spite of my life experiences, I do not see myself as a master, but rather as a student of life who is in turn a Free Thinker.
                I would be very interested in hearing the thoughts and opinions of the members of this gathering. Just please keep it civil. Thank you

              • Frater VON
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Many are the thyrsus-bearers, but few are the mystics.  I understand your perspective, Brother. I, likewise, have been in situations where I have tried to share my insights with a group but they were not ready to embrace such unrestricted/unchained thinking. And that's OK. I had to accept the fact that people, even pagans/ceremonial magicians, are most comfortable when following a set of rules. They like to feel that they are "doing it the right way." I, on the other hand, embrace Crowley's famous line, "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." Most people don't understand the true meaning of this phrase. This was Crowley's way of saying, to hell with the restrictive rules of any organized religion. Free your mind and explore the true nature of the universe and your connection with divinity.  I have discovered that it is best for my wife and me to walk alone, respect the rights of others to follow an organized path, and enjoy those moments when our path crosses that of like-minded individuals.

                  VON