Re: [LancasterPaganCommunity] The Power of the Word

  • Crickjump@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
      And Otter and I second such a thought Talitha...

      Mother Earth Gemstones - Quality Gemstones, Crystals, Fossils & more...
                                        http://MotherEarthGemstones.com

      Whispering Woods. A comprehensive Pagan website

      From: Monica <raica@...>
      To: LancasterPaganCommunity@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 3:54 PM

      Have you ever thought of writing a Witchvox article on this? Fascinating topic I highly enjoyed your take on it.

      :D

      ~Cora

    • Monica
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
        I hope you do! You obviously have a passion for the subject & presented your knowledge & research in a clear, meaningful way. I'd love to hear more on the topic!

        BB,
        ~Cora
      • lsolomon13
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
          To me, the thing that springs quickest to mind about words, gestures, whatever is consensus. Without consensus about what a combination of sounds or letters or even gestures mean, they are of little use to anyone. There must be a basic understanding before you can go any further.
          That being said, words can have great power, even outside of magic. Look at the great speeches in history, and how they influenced thousands at once.
          A kind word can change the outcome of someone's day, as can an unkind word. We are so accustomed to words having power that we don't even think of it before we speak. I do not think that this is exclusive to any group. Certainly, as pagans, we should be more mindful, but the modern world has almost everyone's attention stretched thin. This is a potential reason, not an excuse.
          Bringing mindfulness back into your life helps not only with words, but with almost everything that touches you. When is the last time that you actually SAW a sunrise? HEARD the birds sing? FELT the pain of another? The answer varies for all of us, but it can point us in the right direction to be more a part of the world instead of just waiting on it to pass by.
          Words have power whether we are mindful of it or not. In an ideal world, we would practice being mindful of words every day. But this is not an ideal world. Thank you for bringing to light this opportunity to learn and grow.

          Lucida

        • Crickjump@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
            In your service sister, and thank you for sharing...

> [...]

            > Are folks who ignore the power of the word and the responsibilities that go along with having such power just being irresponsible? In the end we have to ask ourselves just what tenets do we want to exercise in defining the pagan community. Are we as a mystical community (at least in appearance) up to the task to set such an example and to live it with a dose of reality? Is it not expectant of us to show such maturity as we engage the mystical arts by whatever path it is that we follow? Or is the pagan community simply full of empty (powerless) words?

          • Talitha Dragonfly
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010

              I have to disagree with you on this one to a point.

              When somebody smiles, you know that he is happy.  When somebody quickly grabs a part of his body, you know that something hurts.  When somebody waves you over, you know that he or she wants you to come closer.  When somebody throws his hands out in front of him, palms facing you, as you approach, you know that person wants you to stop.  The list could go on and on.

              Laughter is a sound that needs no explanation.   When somebody is amazed at something, and utters a sound like "Wow!" or "Oh!" or "Oooooh!", you know exactly what it means.  Syntax.....in other words, how sentences are structured......even seems to be a natural built-in part of human sound-making according to most linguists.

              There are common, instinctive gestures and sounds that all humans make that almost anyone.....including other species.......can understand.

              However, distinct local dialects did eventually grow into what we would now call language.  So yes, you do need to have a group concensus on what means what for specific situations.  I know I couldn't walk into a non-English speaking Asian market and ever hope to explain what I want through words.

              But I'd like to think that language does not have to be an absolute barrier for understanding someone.

              To quote Crosby, Stills, and Nash from their song "Wooden Ships" (although I think Jefferson Airplane may have originally written it) :

              "If you smile at me, I will understand
              Because that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language."

              Blessed Be,
              Talitha Dragonfly