The Power of Magick - Questions

  • Crick
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
      Greetings Folks: Recently I watched a disagreement between two folks on a gathering that I won't name. I have personally known both of these individuals for many years and have interacted with them through the pagan community.
      As the conversation continued one individual threatened to set a lawyer on the other individual and to sue that person for slander.
      At that point a couple of questions arose in my mind. Both of these individuals are pagan leaders in the particular regions where they live. And so I was wondering why a lawyer was brought into the conversation?
      Do pagan folks today actually believe in the power of magick?
      Or has the fact that so many folks from one of the three Abraham religions whom now swell the ranks of paganism, diluted such a belief in magick due to their former mindset of denial?
      I personally would never consider hiring a lawyer as I believe firmly in the power and affects of magick.
      Over the years I have selectively used such power to my personal satisfaction and at times personal regret.
      However I have to wonder if the belief in magick is simply a "cool" thing to profess to believe in for many folks or do folks actually realize and believe in the potential of such a tool?
      Do you believe?

      Thoughts, comments????

      Blessings

      Crick
    • wisewitch1313@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
        Hey there,
            I have been a practicing Witch for more than 20 years. I truly believe in magick and the practice in which I study and live. I would like to believe that everyone in the magickal community felt the same as I do but you do have people that just read the books and go through the motions without believing in what they are doing. I don't know the situation in which you are talking about but I myself am a leader of a group and would never act like that. People are people and you do get hot headed once in a while but everyone has their own opinion in life. To argue with what someone believes or feels is pointless. But you always try to set a good example.

        Respectfully,
        Minister Kimberly Brunner
            Kimmie
        Sisterhood of the Triple Crescent Church and Coven
      • Talitha Dragonfly
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
          Hmmmm.....compelling questions.

          Do I personally believe in magick?  Absolutely.  I have witnessed its effectiveness, both in my personal usage and in group settings.

          However, the older I get and the deeper I have gotten into my personal journey of Paganism, the less I feel I need to rely upon magick.  Sometimes employing magick can block or delay the natural outcome of how something should have played out.  And usually I learn the lesson that I had the power in my own two mundane hands, so to speak, to do what needed to get done all along.  In other words, I should have done the actual mundane physical work first before resorting to magickal means.

          Instead of employing magick now, I go deep into my own heart and mind and try to figure out what's going on around me.  I ask myself "Why does this situation bother me?  Why do I feel I want to change it?  Is there something.......perhaps ego-based........that is getting stirred up and causing me to not like what's going on?  Is there something that I'm supposed to be learning from this situation?  Could it be that by changing  the situation, I'd be missing out on an important lesson?"

          If I can honestly ask these questions of myself, and I find that a particular situation is truly intolerable on every level, then and only then will I try to cause a change through the use of magick.

          It usually works out that I don't need to use it.  Usually, I find a beautiful and profound transformation within myself instead.  Remember the wise saying of "if you can't find what you're looking for within yourself, you will never find it without."

          For me, that is the magick.

          Blessed Be,
          Talitha Dragonfly

          God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
            Greetings Talitha: Your response is precisely why Otter and I would like to meet with you at some point in time. Very well said. And thank you for sharing your thoughts...

            A Mega Pagan store. Quality items for the discerning Pagan
            Whispering Woods. A comprehensive Pagan website

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
              I am always interested in meeting kindred spirits.

              Right now, I am going to school 4 days a week, then working my @$$ off the other 3.  I'm blessed to have three intelligent, competent, beautiful people in my Coven who are acting HP and HPSs in my absense.  My graduation is in October.  Then it's back to having a semi-life!

              Hopefully by then we will have the opportunity to physically cross paths.  I look forward to it.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010

                (Off topic) Graduation congrats in advance, Talitha. You're to be applauded for the long hours and hard work you've put into your education. I did that in my day and am glad to learn when others do so too.

                Namaste and Bountiful Blessings,

                Seasons Syphrit
                Proud Foundress of the Glorious, Uproarious
                Legion of Laughing Treehuggers
                http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=284302208677

                Don't worry about the environment. It will go away.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                  What a shame that these "leaders" set such a poor example on so many levels.  Call me old fashioned, but the leaders I respect live an example of the best of their path, of community and of humanity.

                  I wonder if the lawyer nonsense was an attempt to exhaust all mundane methods to a particular end before resporting to magick? Some folks preach that one MUST do that before resorting to magick. In my own case the "rules" a follow when using magick have little to do with that notion of jumping through x number of hoops before using magick.

                  As some here know I was not born or raised pagan. But as I learned and  grew both in faith and practice, I know much of what I used to believe as the way things are has changed. Enormously. Much of that came from doing, of learning, trying and suceeding. And even when I didn't get results I needed or expected, I've always learned something. I think this situation is less a matter of regressing to pre-pagan mentality than of never having truly got there or lack of trust in their own core. Both are yucky.

                  Hope the fish are biting and your garden growing :-)

                  Hugs and Blessings,

                  Seasons

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Thank you so much for your encouragement.

                    Really, I have been so blessed.  I have exactly the right teacher that was meant for me exactly when I needed him.  His name is Mr. Bill Reed.  He has become my guru (using the term exactly as it was intended to be used).  He truly lives the Mind/Body/Spirit philosophy.

                    Mr. Reed prefers us to call him "Coach".  From day one, he's told us that he doesn't want to show us how he does things, and then have us do it the same way.  He always says "Don't do things my way.  Do things YOUR way."  Yes, there were things we were required to learn by the books.....anatomy, myology, pathology, business, etc..  But when it all boils down to the art and science of Massage Therapy, and how it is performed on a person in need of our touch,  he is so talented at taking a student's natural ability, and then enhancing it.

                    One day recently I was re-reading the book "The Power of Myth".  It was an interview with Joseph Campbell given by Bill Moyers.  Imagine my delight when I turned the page and the following passage appeared:

                    Bill Moyers asks:  What does mythology tell us about how to get in touch with that other self, that real self?

                    Joseph Campbell responds:  The first instruction would be to follow the hints of the myth itself and of your guru, your teacher, who should know.  It's like an anthlete going to a coach.  The coach tells him how to bring his own energies into play.  A good coach doesn't tell a runner exactly how to hold his arms or anything like that.  He watches him run, then helps him to correct his own natural mode.  A good teacher is there to watch the young person and recognize what the possibilities are - then to give advice, not commands.  The command would be, "This is the way I do it, so you must do it this way, too."  Some artists teach their students that way.  But the teacher in any case has to talk it out, to give some general clues.  If you don't have someone to do that for you, you've got to work it all out from scratch - like reinventing the wheel.

                    Of course, I emailed these paragraphs to my Coach.

                    While I am looking forward to my graduation and my new career (I'm already taking clients with great success), there is a large part of me that will be sad to leave his classroom.  I know that we will continue to correspond on a personal and professional level.  However, his classroom has been a truly Magickal experience.

                    Which in saying, I believe, gets us back on topic!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010

                      I like your coach. Is your school in the Newport area (Perry County)? We just heard of a Reiki/massage school there, which isn't that far from us here in Duncannon.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                        Otter and I second these thoughts. Congratulations sister...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                          We look forward to it. Perhaps our coven could do a co-event at some point in the future. At any rate, don't burn yourself out (grin)...

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                            Crick-

                            I have always believed in magic. I have seen far too many things, done too many things, been tried too many times in various ways in my life not to believe. My Beltane experience was both a transformation and an affirmation of my own power and the power magic holds. I think it's ridiculous to bring a lawyer into much of anything, if it can be helped. I believe that all the pagan paths feel like coming home for many seekers of their own personal truth. COnverts, so to speak, perhaps have a bit of trouble believing in magic. Part of the reason for this is their lifelong indoctrination into the Abrahamic religions, which usually teach that ther is no such thing as anything that could be paralell and equal to us here in this plane. No ghosts. No spirits. No faeries. No Dryads. No nothing until we die and go to heaven or hell. I feel sorry for them, as I feel like this must be a lonely existence, full of fear and anxiety and dread and hate. Humans commonly hate what they fear, and they fear the unknown or different.

                            The other part of this problem of Abrahamic indoctrination is low self-esteem. They are taught from the cradle that they are nothing without their patriarchal god. They are taught to fear women, fear their very nature, that they have no power of their own. Lifelong mental abuse such as this can be quite difficult to shake off. I feel sympathy for them, as they are weak, ill of mind, and ill of spirit.

                            As far as diluting magic, I don't believe they can. Magic has never been diluted, only subverted and kept underground to save oneself or one's family from persecution and torture. Talking to houseplants is magical. Wishing correctly for something needed and getting it because your will was strong enough is magic. Finding five dollars on the ground when you are low on gas and trying to get to work is magic. The only time magic is diluted is when the intent is not clear. That rests with the practitioner. COnverts, no matter how strange they seem to us, can never dilute magic, because the practice,and use of magic is only as strong as te practitioner's will.

                            BirdSong

                            --- In LancasterPaganCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Crick" <Crickjump@...> wrote:

                            > Greetings Folks: Recently I watched a disagreement between two folks on a gathering that I won't name. I have personally known both of these individuals for many years and have interacted with them through the pagan community.
                            > As the conversation continued one individual threatened to set a lawyer on the other individual and to sue that person for slander.
                            > At that point a couple of questions arose in my mind. Both of these individuals are pagan leaders in the particular regions where they live. And so I was wondering why a lawyer was brought into the conversation?
                            > Do pagan folks today actually believe in the power of magick?
                            > Or has the fact that so many folks from one of the three Abraham religions whom now swell the ranks of paganism, diluted such a belief in magick due to their former mindset of denial?
                            > I personally would never consider hiring a lawyer as I believe firmly in the power and affects of magick.
                            > Over the years I have selectively used such power to my personal satisfaction and at times personal regret.
                            > However I have to wonder if the belief in magick is simply a "cool" thing to profess to believe in for many folks or do folks actually realize and believe in the potential of such a tool?
                            > Do you believe?
                            >
                            > Thoughts, comments????
                            >
                            > Blessings
                            >
                            > Crick

                          • Talitha Dragonfly
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                              Actually, I'm in NE Philadelphia.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                                That could be very cool.  I love it when groups put their heads together and plan something.  It's a learning experience all around.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                                  Absolutely. This is not a slam at anyone or any group, just a personal observation by one old man. Over the years I have watched (figuratively) as hundreds of folks both in person and over the Internet, take and talk about pagan community. Unfortunately the reality (again, just a personal opinion) is that the community that we speak of consists primarily of on line groups and groups which generally keep to their own comfort zones /locales, and don't usually reach out to other locales. To my mind atleast, if we are to have a true community, one that is rich in diversity, and one that is thriving, we need to reach out to other groups and gatherings and show some unity. Over the years many a local group has faded away. I believe this is because each local group can only get but so much support from their local area. Over time, folks get burned out. A community has to be more than just this local group or that. (Massive grin). Ok, too many cups of java today. I'm out of here (running for the garden)...

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                                    I'm finding myself nodding my head in agreement with your statements.

                                    When individual groups reach out to one another, and celebrate rituals and ideas together, it's like a huge shot in the arm of inspiration and innovation.  It's like "Wow.  I never thought of doing things like that!"  or "Wow.  It is so gratifying to see that others are on the same page as we are."

                                    When I lived out in California, groups often got together.  There were several large events that were well attended.  There was lots of open-circle activity going on.  Needless to say, the Pagan community is alive and thriving out there, and full of diversity and vibrant life.  We as East Coasters have got to get past our "shyness", and past our worrying about what the traditional organized faiths have got to say about us.   We just gotta get out there and do it!

                                    Blessed Be,
                                    Talitha