Montalvo, Velo, Connoisseurs', Stern , HPC&GPU, DARPA, Rights, Job, Inria, GF 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2012
      Montalvo, Velo, Connoisseurs', Stern , HPC&GPU, DARPA, Rights, Job, Inria, GF

      1. Fr Jul 20 7-10pm Francophile Art SIG Free Celebration
      2. Fr Jul 20 8-…pm Francophile Velo SIG Free Bike Party
      3. Sa-Su Jul 21-22 10a-6pm Francophile Festival SIG Free Event
      4. Su Jul 22 2pm Francophile Outdoor Music SIG Free Concert
      5. Mo Jul 23 6:15pm Francophile HPC&GPU SIG Free Event
      6. Tu Jul 24 7pm Francophile Computer SIG Free Conversation
      7. We Jul 25 7pm Francophile Human Rights SIG Free Lecture
      8. Job offer

      partnerships.
      It is written for your benefit, and is available to interested others.
      Feel free to share this with friends.
      Your submissions and feedback are welcome!

      Fr July 20 7-10pm Francophile Art SIG Free Celebration
      Join us for the opening celebration of the Sculpture on the Grounds 2012 exhibit
      Montalvo: Making Place Public
      Montalvo Arts Center's Centennial

      This multidisciplinary event will feature newly-commissioned installations and works on loan, a spectacular projection on the
      historic Villa by Spanish artist Daniel Canogar,live performance,
      and music and dancing on the Great Lawn!

      Montalvo: Making Place Public presents new commissions by local, national and
      international artists, as well as select works on loan. Through large-scale sculpture,
      performance and sound works, participating artists have transformed our habitual
      experiences of Montalvo's familiar and overlooked spaces, positing instead
      alternative and unexpected modes of public engagement with the property. In
      response to the estate-as-place, artists have crafted works that explore Montalvo's
      unique landscapes, broader geographical, social and cultural contexts, as well as its
      histories, present and possible futures.

      The evening will also include live music on the Great Lawn
      by San Francisco-based music group Tin Hat.

      http://montalvoarts.org/events/rock_the_garden/

      MONTALVO ARTS CENTER
      15400 Montalvo Road
      Saratoga, CA 95070

      NOTE: Free parking at this event is very limited.
      PLEASE carpool if you can!

      Fr Jul 20 8-…pm Francophile Velo SIG Free Bike Party
      Join us for the biking stay for the ambiance.
      The Olympics Ride – July 20th
      It's time to get your gold medals out and get your Olympic spirit ready! The 2012
      London Olympics are right around the corner and San Jose Bike Party is here to
      celebrate. Let's see if we can get a gold medal in Building Community. Please
      remember to ride respectfully, and let's show How We Ride. Go for the gold!

      http://www.sjbikeparty.org/archives/4872#more-4872

      Start Old Mervins Parking Lot
      End Old Mervins Parking Lot

      Let's all have a good time while being safe, legal, and courteous.
      We share the road with other traffic. Helping cars roll through smoothly makes
      the ride more enjoyable for everyone. Please remember to turn down the volume
      when riding through residential areas late at night.

      San Jose Bike Party is a place to ride bikes, make friends,
      and have a good time.
      Mission
      Building community through bicycling.
      We meet the third Friday of each month at 8:00pm.
      The start up location and route is rotated monthly.

      http://www.sjbikeparty.org/

      Sa-Su July 21-22 10a-6pm Francophile Festival SIG Free Event
      Menlo Park's Connoisseurs' Marketplace
      This year, Menlo Park's venerable Connoisseurs' Marketplace marks 26 years
      as one of the Bay Area's top summer festivals. It's a sun-splashed weekend
      featuring world-class art by 250 of top artists, two days of stellar music,
      enlightening chefs' demos, fabulous food and drink, tons of fun for kids,
      artisan specialty food purveyors, a collector car show, home and garden exhibits,
      health and wellness displays, an organic and green products showcase,
      and head to charming, tree-lined downtown Menlo Park.
      The festival takes in downtown Menlo Park.
      Large crowds are expected to pour onto the downtown streets for this vibrant
      celebration of visual, performing and culinary arts.
      Admission is free. Take a leisurely stroll down charming, tree-lined
      Santa Cruz Avenue and experience a world-class sampler for the senses.

      http://www.miramarevents.com/marketplace/

      On Santa Cruz Avenue between El Camino Real and Johnson Street
      Downtown Menlo Park, California

      Su July 22 2pm Francophile Outdoor Music SIG Free Concert
      Celebrate Stern Grove Festival's 75th Season of admission-free concerts!
      The E Family
      The Escovedo family brings the beat in this one-of-a-kind performance featuring
      the Pete Escovedo Orchestra, The E Family Band with Pete, Juan, Peter Michael,
      and Sheila E, and a special performance by Sheila E.

      Join us this summer June 24 - August 26 Sundays 2pm and
      experience the new Stern Grove!
      Since 1938, Stern Grove Festival has been the Bay Area's home for the
      best performing arts in a beautiful outdoor setting, completely
      admission-free. And now, after a $15 million renovation, Stern Grove
      is more beautiful than ever.
      The new Stern Grove features: new stage, retractable canopy, terraced
      concert meadow, pathways, restrooms, patron amenities, new
      infrastructure, new landscaping.
      Stern Grove :: 19th Avenue & Sloat Blvd :: San Francisco

      http://www.sterngrove.org/home/celebrate75/

      2012 Concerts and Events
      June 24 The Family Stone & Glide Ensemble
      July 1 Preservation Hall Jazz Band, The Stone Foxes
      July 8 San Francisco Symphony
      July 15 Nitin Sawhney, Meshell Ndegeocello
      July 22 The E Family
      July 29 San Francisco Ballet, Helgi Tomasson, Artistic Director
      August 5 Ozomatli, SMOD
      August 12 Al Jarreau and The George Duke Trio Mara Hruby
      August 19 San Francisco Opera
      August 26 OK GO, The Family Crest

      Mo Jul 23 6:15pm Francophile HPC&GPU SIG Free Event
      HPC & GPU Supercomputing Group of Silicon Valley

      Come for Table discussions, Member Self-Intro, What's New, Application
      Showcase, and Advanced Application Development Techniques!
      Exchange ideas, meet experts, share code...
      all HPC & GPU, all practical, all cutting-edge.

      6:15-6:30pm What's new in HPC & GPU Supercomputing
      6:30-6:45pm Member self-intros: 30 seconds for each member
      6:45-7:35pm An introduction to C++ AMP (Kelly Goss)
      7:35-7:50pm Break
      7:50-8:30pm SPM.Python (Minesh, MBA Sciences, Inc)

      http://www.meetup.com/HPC-GPU-Supercomputing-Group-of-Silicon-Valley/events/63376832/

      Carnegie Mellon University Silicon Valley
      NASA Research Park, Bldg. 23 (MS 23-11)
      Moffett Field, CA 94035

      Tu Jul 24 7pm Francophile Computer SIG Free Conversation
      Join us tonight to find out why.
      John Markoff has referred to DARPA as an "Agency of Wonder"

      CHM Presents: Revolutionaries
      DARPA's Dan Kaufman in Conversation with John Markoff of The New York Times

      Imagine what the world would look like if we gave everyone the ability to
      solve its toughest problems, the freedom to explore the world, and the tools
      to build the future. These are ideas that have been driving Dan Kaufman and
      his research efforts at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
      (DARPA). He is convinced that if we build the tools and technology to
      empower everyone to participate, we would be amazed at the results.

      Recently at DARPA there have been multiple efforts to research the
      mobilization and self-organization potential of social networks & crowd
      sourcing. Two interesting questions arise: can you use the power of the
      crowd to solve a specific problem, and can you find special people in the
      crowd to solve a problem who have never been asked before?

      The power of the crowd has been explored through DARPA's Network
      Challenge (commonly referred to as the Red Balloon Challenge) in which
      10 large red weather balloons were placed at undisclosed locations across
      the US for one day.

      Finding people in the crowd who can contribute greatly has been explored
      through a recent DARPA sponsored experiment called the Shredder Challenge.
      In this test, the winning solution was not resolved by the "power of the crowd,"
      but by finding, in the crowd, those special people who may have never been
      asked the question. Many thought the task impossible, but it turned out that
      they had been asking the wrong people.

      An obstacle to fully empowering the crowd is the need for software programmers.
      DARPA has pushed to develop tools that allow ordinary people to solve complex
      problems. The program Real World gave tools to U.S. soldiers to allow them to
      create their own mission-specific simulations, without expertise in computer
      programming. Those tools have now been used to build aircraft, medical, and
      neurological simulators.

      This event is part of our 2012 lecture series celebrating Revolutionaries, featuring
      conversations with and about some of the most distinguished thinkers in the
      computing field. The Revolutionaries lecture series complements the launch of the
      Computer History Museum's permanent exhibition,
      Revolution: The First 2000 Years of Computing.

      http://www.computerhistory.org/events/#darpas-dan-kaufman-conversation-with

      Computer History Museum
      1401 N. Shoreline Boulevard
      Mountain View, CA 94043

      We July 25 7pm Francophile Human Rights SIG Free Lecture
      Stanford Human Rights Program: Keynote Address by Philip Gourevitch

      "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with
      reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

      —Universal Declaration of Human Rights Adopted by the United Nations in 1948

      Philip Gourevitch is a long-time staff writer for The New Yorker,
      and a former editor of The Paris Review.
      Gourevitch's reportage, essays, criticism, and short fiction have appeared
      in numerous publications at home and abroad.
      In 2010, he received a Guggenheim Fellowship and was made a
      Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in France.
      In 2011, We Wish to Inform You… was included in the Guardian's
      list of the 100 greatest nonfiction books.

      The Stanford Summer Human Rights Program is an interdisciplinary collaboration
      that explores emerging issues in human rights through a series of courses, public
      lectures, and films. The program will focus on international human rights in the
      21st century, considering both state and non-state actors in securing rights for all.

      https://continuingstudies.stanford.edu/publicprograms/event.php?eid=20114_EVT%20334

      FREE; no registration is required

      Hewlett Teaching Center, Auditorium 200
      Stanford, CA 94305

      The LIRMM (Informatics lab) is a 350-person cross-faculty research entity
      of University of Montpellier, France and the National Center for Scientific
      Research (CNRS). It is home of internationally recognized researchers in
      semantic technologies, text/data mining, ontologies,
      bioinformatics and artificial intelligence.

      We are currently offering 1 fully-funded PhD studentships commencing
      fall 2012 for 3 years. Applications are invited from France, EU and
      international students on the following PhD project.

      http://www.lirmm.fr/~jonquet/research/projects/SIFR/2012_SIFR_PhD_position.html

      Dr. Clement JONQUET - PhD in Informatics - Assistant Professor
      jonquet@...
      http://www.lirmm.fr/~jonquet
      University of Montpellier
      LIRMM
      161 rue Ada
      34095 Montpellier Cdx 5
      France
      Tel: +33/4 67 14 97 43
      Fax: +33/4 67 41 85 00
      Skype: clementpro
      Twitter: @jonquet_lirmm

      French Software Engineer (Cupertino)

      Looking for a French (native) speaking software engineer for a 3 month
      assignment in the South Bay. Must be a very strong problem-solver with
      a background in software development (HTML/XML/Javascript - some Java
      preferred), and preferrably a degree in computer science. If you've
      worked as a Localization Engineer before, you have a good idea of what
      we're looking for.

      Location: Cupertino
      it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
      Compensation: $50 - $60/hr
      http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cpg/3042724699.html

      Our complete solution for the broadcast of traffic reports features consistent
      on-air and on-line components, 3D animation, information user pages and
      traffic forecasting.
      We offer a fast-paced and fun work atmosphere, and are centrally located in the
      Silicon Valley.
      We need a rock star Mobile and Web application software engineer intern for
      prototype development and enhancements of our mobile and web apps
      http://www.beatthetraffic.com/index.html
      We're combining exciting new technologies fun location based services.
      You can find more information about this internship at:

      http://www.trianglesoftware.com/wp-content/careers/Engineering_Internship.pdf

      Please send an email to:
      Patricia Poujaud < patou2004@... >

      Researchers in computer sciences and mathematics

      At the interface of informatics and mathematics, 3,400 researchers
      located in Inria's eight research centers work, along with their academi
      and industrial partners from around the world, on the science and
      technologies of tomorrow.

      Joining Inria means a stimulating environment where you can work
      with others on ambitious scientific projects.
      Joining Inria also lets you collaborate with all the different actors to
      find concrete solutions to problems affecting society or the business
      world, and all this in a rewarding, international context.
      Joining Inria gives you as well the possibility to train tomorrow's talent,
      working with master and Ph.D students.

      Join us if you are seeking fulfillment in a multicultural, collaborative
      setting and looking to solve challenges in informatics or mathematics
      and their applications!

      Our job offers on
      http://www.inria.fr/en

      GLOBALFOUNDRIES Opportunity Summit 2011
      Check the Career Opportunities at
      http://www.globalfoundries.com/careers/
      Send to ludolamy@... your desired position
      and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate contact at
      GLOBALFOUNDRIES.

      To support our growing global operations, we are currently recruiting
      experienced semiconductor industry professionals to fill new positions
      at the company's corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley and at the
      company's new Fab 8 facility currently under construction near
      Saratoga Springs, NY receiving equipment in July 2011.

      LamyLudo's group is a benefit-all community offering activities,
      resources and services for Francophiles.
      Our mission is :
      Bonding, Bridging, Connecting, Helping, Networking, Sharing
      With Francophile Communities.
      The worldwide largest
      Francophile Cultures & Community Yahoo Group.