Re: [S.Cyclists] Proposed GOAL2012 motions - forget the small print!

  • Oliver Schick
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      Dear Matt,

      Matt Beale-Collins wrote:
      > It's not an either/or and it's not a one trick pony.

      it seems to me as if you're repeating the one trick the pony has by making the
      same point as before again--which to me seems to re-confirm that it is. You may
      consider this single argument convincing, but consider that you seem to be
      assuming that it will always work regardless of the circumstances.

      > Very simply
      > charismatic leadership grasps the opportunity with both hands.

      Yes, if charismatic leadership is set into a context where it can function, then
      it's very worth supporting. It's possible that that's the case here, but then
      again it may not. Either way, we still need a convincing bid to take forward.
      It's not so simple that you can just ignore the normal ways in which you get
      funding.

      > There are
      > plenty of foot soldiers to scan for grammatical error and tape measure
      > incremental measures.

      Once again, this is not about detail but about top-level strategy. Do have
      another look at our key concerns and tell me what in them requires proofreaders
      and tape measure operators at this stage.

      > Your final comment "that's what we're doing" really
      > says it all. My point was it should have been done already, yours is we are
      > doing it in an ongoing sort of way. Time is of the essence.

      You can say that as an outsider to the process but I can assure you that we've
      been taking discussions forward as fast as possible. It would be great to get
      the Sustrans proposals off the ground, but they've left it very late, and that's
      what we have to work with.

      > Best of luck
      > anyway and let's hope we all end up with the world class cycling city we
      > deserve, by whatever means.

      Definitely! I'm pretty sure we won't need luck. We're not relying on it in any case.

      Best wishes,
      Oliver.