Fw: [LCC City] City Cyclist - Spring 2003 News

  • Luke Evans
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2003
      Here is the latest City Cyclists newsletter - if you have any issues you would like raised in City Cylists please contact me and I will attempt to pass them on to the relevant person.

      If you would like to receive City Cyclists messages send a blank email to lcccity-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Luke
      Lambeth Cyclists delegate to City Cyclists

      CITY CYCLIST

      Spring 2003

      Newsletter of City Cyclists, LCC in the City of London

      Contents
      DUKE'S PLACE VICTORY *
      PARAMEDIC CYCLE RESPONSE UNIT IN THE CITY
      STATIONS CIRCULAR CYCLE CROSSING CANCELLED * [IMPORTANT! Legal action
      proposed]
      CYCLISTS TOLD TO DISMOUNT ON BUSY LCN ROUTE *
      NE RING OF STEEL CONTROL POINTS MOVING
      20MPH CITY ZONE DEVELOPMENTS *
      HATTON GARDEN CLEAR ZONE *
      GOODBYE FLEET STREET CYCLE LANES? *
      CITY CYCLE ACTION PLAN PROGRESS *
      VERY IMPORTANT MEETING
      CYCLING - A CAPITAL SOLUTION - CONFERENCE

      Further information, such as letters or committee reports, can be
      obtained on items marked with an * by e-mailing the co-ordinator

            DUKE'S PLACE VICTORY
      City Cyclists' legal objection to the removal of the cycle lane for an
      enlarged bus stop combined with over 20 e-mails from LCC members in City
      and neighbouring groups has forced a climb-down.  The cycle track will
      now be extended (but not in a segregated gutter), buses will get greater
      priority and the bus stop will become easier to use for all, especially
      those with reduced mobility.

      The only losers will be general motor traffic who will have to wait
      behind buses as they use the bus stop.  Thanks to all those who e-mailed
      the Corporation for their support!  We have congratulated the
      Corporation for agreeing to our proposal and suggested that the City
      could gain more world class facilities in the future from us
      participating in proposals rather than being consulted on a _fait
      accompli_.

      We have also saved the cycle gap between Watling Street and St Paul's
      from being closed following another objection and are getting a
      contra-flow on Lombard Street (west) - including a pedestrian table
      crossing at the western end - as well as existing plans for the eastern
      half of that street.

            PARAMEDIC CYCLE RESPONSE UNIT IN THE CITY
      The London Ambulance Service (LAS) has made arrangements to extend its
      extremely successful Cycle Response Unit (CRU) from the West End into
      the City.  City of London Police have agreed to let the CRU use the
      facilities their cycling police use.  However due to some internal
      problems in the LAS we are still unsure when they will start operating
      in the City.  City Cyclists has withdrawn its objection to emergency
      service vehicles using bus lanes, made before the City Police cycle unit
      was set up, as a result of these encouraging moves to Human Powered
      Vehicles by the emergency services.

            LONDON WALL CYCLE CROSSING CANCELLED
      I am proposing to threaten the Corporation with a trip to the High Court
      if they approve a report on making London Wall two-way in committee on
      Monday.  I fully intend to apply for judicial review if they go ahead
      and would appreciate doing this with the backing of City Cyclists rather
      than as an individual.  This may sound over the top but three of the
      main City cycle routes are at stake.  The crossing was supposed to
      happen in 2002 but due to a Corporation screw-up had to be cancelled and
      we were told to wait until London Wall was made two-way, which we
      support in principle, before it could go ahead.  Then we were told in
      our last meeting the cycle crossing had been cancelled as it was not
      possible for engineering reasons, something to do with the underground
      car park.  We asked for reasons and plans and were promised them but
      they never materialised.

      It now turns out that the Corporation has decided to cancel the cycle
      crossing simply because it is not thought "appropriate", as the longer
      Wood Street route needs no additional engineering measures and is
      already two-way, though Coleman Street is easily wide enough for two-way
      traffic.  In the so-called consultations section of the report going to
      committee, there is no mention whatsoever of our objections or indeed of
      the proposed LCN+ routes.  Indeed the LCN+ steering group were only told
      last week about the proposed re-routing but not that it was going to
      committee next Monday.  It is for that reason that I propose to apply
      for any approval of the report to be quashed.  The report fails to
      include very relevant considerations, hence any decision taken on it
      would be unlawful in administrative law.  I practise in this area of
      law, would do all the legal work myself and believe our case to be
      extremely robust.

      The proposals would:
      * Rule out the proposed cycle crossing of London Wall, causing a 50m
      longer backstreet route for the Stations Circular and barring two
      proposed LCN+ routes from going through the City
      * Remove the eastbound cycle lane on London Wall between Fore Street
      Avenue and Moorgate
      * Include Advanced Stop Lines with stunted feeder lanes that do not
      comply with the minimum legal standards.  These are worse than useless,
      they are dangerous as they encourage cyclists into blind spots of left
      turning vehicles - 3 of the last 4 cycle fatalities in the City have
      happened in this way.
      * Open Moorgate (south of London Wall) to all motor traffic contrary to
      road traffic reduction targets.  Currently only buses, taxis and solo
      motorcycles allowed on this cycle route which is in dire need of
      improvements.
      * No new cycle facilities on Moorgate despite the fact it's an official
      cycle route
      * No new cycle lanes on London Wall (east of Moorgate) as it's not an
      official cycle route even though lots of cycles use it

            CYCLISTS TOLD TO DISMOUNT ON BUSY LCN ROUTE
      A Bailey bridge over some road works on Newgate appeared last weekend
      and a sign tells cyclists that they must dismount and walk round on the
      pavement, even though it's a lengthy detour round the building works on
      the south side.  Despite being a London Cycle Network route, these signs
      were installed without consultation and will stay there for over quarter
      of a year.

      The Corporation has justified them by raising concerns about cyclists
      being squeezed pointed to an collision on a similar Bailey Bridge at
      Bank nine years ago.  However they admit they do not expect cyclists to
      obey the signs and that they are simply there to cover themselves in
      case of a crash.

      City Cyclists have issued a formal complaint pointing out that official
      DfT guidance states "Where access is permitted for motor vehicles,
      'Cyclist Dismount' signs should not be used. The hazards to cyclists at
      roadworks are rarely great enough to justify this measure." and
      proposing a combination of warning signs, cycle symbols in the middle of
      the road and a temporary 20mph speed limit.

            NE RING OF STEEL CONTROL POINTS MOVING
      The vehicle checkpoints in the north east side of the City are to be
      moved following a slight extension of the ring of steel following
      completion of road closures, e.g. corner of Finsbury Square.  The one on
      Eldon Street will move west to South Place, where the existing
      segregated (and for the last two years blocked) cycle lane has been
      removed unlawfully due to a failure to revoke the Traffic Regulation
      Orders.  The one on Bishopsgate will move north to the bottom of
      Shoreditch High Street, though there is no agreement about exactly
      where.

      We will be campaigning for high quality, i.e. of sufficient width and
      with shallow curves, cycle bypasses of both.

            20MPH CITY ZONE DEVELOPMENTS
      We are just about to submit our proposal for a speedy implementation of
      a 20mph zone for all of the City.  It seems the Corporation and TfL are
      moving in this direction.  A report in the Sunday Times, which has been
      confirmed, states that TfL plan a 20mph limit on Bishopsgate starting
      2004/5, which would include shallow tables at junctions and pedestrian
      crossings to slow down traffic without giving bus users a bumpy ride.

            HATTON GARDEN CLEAR ZONE
      A clear zone means a closure to motor vehicles except public transport
      and low/zero emission vehicles. General traffic will still be allowed to
      use some main roads such as Holborn.  We have ambitious plans for the
      zone, including cycle permeability and street scene improvements, not to
      mention turning the horrible roundabout at Holborn Circus into a simple
      crossroads.  Consultation will take place this year, followed by works
      from 2004 to 2006/7.

            GOODBYE FLEET STREET CYCLE LANES?
      As part of the London Bus + Initiative there are proposals to upgrade
      bus facilities on Fleet Street.  While we support making the existing
      eastbound bus lane 7am-7pm and increased waiting & loading restrictions,
      we strongly oppose removing the existing westbound cycle lane and
      squeezing in a bus lane.  Four lanes of motor traffic will make Fleet
      Street even more unpleasant and will totally preclude existing plans for
      wide cycle lanes/tracks (it's a proposed LCN+ route) and widening the
      busy pavements.  The bus lane would make little difference to bus
      journey times as over 80% of the traffic is buses, cycles and taxis, who
      could use the lane, and it would stop before Fetter Lane junction, the
      only place where buses have to queue.

      We are proposing making Ludgate Hill & St Paul's Churchyard  bus & cycle
      only as was planned but narrowly defeated by vested interests in 1994.
      This would permit high quality cycle facilities on this LCN+ route and
      major street scene improvements changing the narrow pavements with
      guardrails into a paved plaza like the new bus & cycle only Adenauer
      Platz by the Brandenburg gate in Berlin.  We would like this to be tried
      from 7am to 7pm on Monday 22 September's Car Free day, as part of the
      "Planning for real" initiative, including a total ban on motor traffic
      from 11am-3pm there to permit stalls etc.  Queen Victoria St would be
      the diversionary route.

            GOODBYE BLACKFRIARS BRIDGE/FARRINGDON ROAD CYCLE LANES TOO?
      TfL are implementing bus lanes on Blackfriars Bridge up to Farringdon
      Road.  We are very concerned about the removal of cycle lanes and the
      proposal for a cycle lane in a bus lane in the middle of Blackfriars
      Bridge where a cyclist was killed in February.  More info to follow.

            CITY CYCLE ACTION PLAN PROGRESS
      The Action Plan has been delayed but for a good reason.  We, and
      possibly others, will receive a draft copy to comment on by the start of
      next month.  The final draft version should then be released in June for
      full public consultation. The results should be ready for September and
      go to committee in October.

            VERY IMPORTANT MEETING
      There was supposed to be a meeting on 9 April but I said 6 April in the
      minutes by mistake.  I've been too busy to organise anything and only
      one person has asked.  Sorry about this.  Am trying to find a room in
      the Temple, if not we could have a bring your own lunch picnic meeting
      by the Thames in the Temple Gardens (retiring to a nearby room in case
      of rain) on a Wednesday in later April/early May.  It will be timed to
      have enough time to circulate and consider the draft plan on this list.

            WEBSITE
      If you have things you want to write or rewrite for the website, do get
      in contact.  I've got lots of ideas for it but really need help putting
      in photos etc.

      Hall of Shame coming soon...

            HELP
      Believe it or not almost all the campaigning work above has been done by
      me.  Sarah, the other key person in City Cyclists is currently touring
      the world.  City Cyclists is achieving so much so if any of you can help
      occasionally - there's no minimum amount - we could achieve even more...

            CYCLING - A CAPITAL SOLUTION - CONFERENCE

      Book now on
      http://www.lcc.org.uk/Conference/booking.asp

      for:
      -----------
      Ken Livingstone at London cycling conference
      Cycling: a capital solution
      May 10 2003, 10am-4.30pm
      Hear the latest on cycling policy from the decision makers and experts -

      discover new initiatives to boost cycling.

      This top level conference promises to be a landmark event with an
      opportunity
      to hear key policy makers and experts from the world of cycling. A
      superb
      central location (Westminster, London) will provide perfect conditions
      for
      networking.

      The conference will present some of the latest thinking on cycling
      policy in
      London, the UK and Europe. Insights will be provided on urban
      partnerships and
      urban solutions to increase cycling. New challenges for both planners
      and user
      groups will be discussed.

      Speakers include:

      Ken Livingstone Mayor of London
      Christian Wolmar writer and member of the National Cycling Strategy
      Board
      Rose Ades Head of the Cycling Centre of Excellence at Transport for
      London
      Crispin Truman chair of London Cycling Campaign
      Roger Geffen Campaigns Manager for CTC, the national cyclist<RIGHT
      SINGLE QUOTATION MARK>s organisation
      James Ryle Sustrans
      Delegates will be able to participate in London cycle rides on Sunday,
      May 11,
      which will use some of London<RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK>s many cycle
      routes. Informal social gatherings
      will take place on the Friday evening before the conference (May 9) and
      on
      Saturday evening (May 10).

      Complimentary refreshments will be provided at the conference.

      Registration
      There is no charge for this conference but only registered delegates
      will be
      admitted. We have a limited number of tickets for LCC members which will
      be
      allocated on a first come, first served basis. The deadline for all
      applications is April 25. Successful applicants will receive a
      conference pack
      by early May.

      Cycling: a capital solution is the spring cycle planning conference of
      LCC/CCN/CTC, hosted by the London Cycling Campaign and Transport for
      London.

      Would you or an activist in your group who is interested in Transport
      Planning & Highway Engineering matters as they affect cyclists in London
      join the new LCC list where minutes of meetings and actions on this
      issue will be posted. To do so post a blank email to

      mailto:LCC-CPECplus-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: lcccity@yahoogroups.com
      List moderator:  lcccity-owner@yahoogroups.com