Coldharbour NEP Exhibition TODAY Tue 1 Oct

  • Bob Campbell
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2013
      It may be too late, but for info: the Lambeth Neighbourhood Enhancement Programme team sent an email at miday today to remind that there is an exhibition today about the Coldharbour area NEP Public Consultation.

      The exhibition is today, Tuesday 1 October 16.30 to 20.30 at the Loughborough Centre Angell Road, SW9 7PD. There will be an opportunity to ask questions to officers. The proposals appear to include 20 mph speed limits, 'quietways' and cycle routes.

      For more info see
      http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/Environment/ColdharbourNeighbourhoodEnhancementProgramme.htm

      Bob Campbell
    • Danny Williams

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
          Danny it is a vote on several underwhelming alternatives, none of which do
          anything radical for Loughborough Rd. The Quietways prgramme for the area,
          has some great aspects, Richard is trying to push through some FP, but
          again little to address Loughborough Rd.

          I am sure Lambeth would try but L Rd is SRN so has the beady eye of TfL
          with their hardened no reduction in capacity stance.

          Al> Am I right in thinking this doesn't suggest any improvements to
          > Loughborough Road which is pretty unpleasant for cycling in that bonkers
          > bike lane in the door zone, with traffic islands sending motor traffic
          > right alongside you?
          >
          > On 1 Oct 2013, at 15:44, Bob Campbell wrote:
          >
          >> It may be too late, but for info: the Lambeth Neighbourhood Enhancement
          >> Programme team sent an email at miday today to remind that there is an
          >> exhibition today about the Coldharbour area NEP Public Consultation.
          >>
          >> The exhibition is today, Tuesday 1 October 16.30 to 20.30 at the
          >> Loughborough Centre Angell Road, SW9 7PD. There will be an opportunity
          >> to ask questions to officers. The proposals appear to include 20 mph
          >> speed limits, 'quietways' and cycle routes.
          >>
          >> For more info see
          >> http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/Environment/ColdharbourNeighbourhoodEnhancementProgramme.htm
          >>
          >> Bob Campbell

        • Bob Campbell
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
            Amongst the “underwhelming stuff” there are proposals for the following which could have some relevance to cycling on Loughborough Road:

            • an overall 20mph speed limit on all the non-TfL roads in the area
            • a proposed cycle lane along Loughborough Road
            • new pedestrian crossings on Loughborugh Road at Wyck Gardens and by Newark House (or Loughborough School)
            • a proposed London cycle Network route along Barrington, Loughborough and Minet Roads

            My own concern is that drivers might switch from Loughborough Road to other roads in the area, like Lilford Road, where speeding is rife and for which there appear to be no significant proposals.

            Bob
          • simonstill
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013

              Loughborough Road horrible - I think i had a rant on here but Katie and I had a near miss (with a Police driver) at the Akerman Road junction.  Katie saw a nasty looking incident there in the last few weeks with ambulance in attendance for cyclist injury.

                >no reduction in capacity stance.

              I don't think you would have to reduce capacity at all on L Road.  The pavements are hugely wide and never busy.  Take a royal college road approach - move the cycle lane to the inside of the parked cars using space from current cycle lane and some of pavement, narrow traffic lanes to slow traffic, remove the island pinch points and add frequent zebra crossings.

              ---In lambeth_cyclists@yahoogroups.com, <clneely@...> wrote:

              Danny it is a vote on several underwhelming alternatives, none of which do
              anything radical for Loughborough Rd. The Quietways prgramme for the area,
              has some great aspects, Richard is trying to push through some FP, but
              again little to address Loughborough Rd.

              I am sure Lambeth would try but L Rd is SRN so has the beady eye of TfL
              with their hardened no reduction in capacity stance.

              Al> Am I right in thinking this doesn't suggest any improvements to
              > Loughborough Road which is pretty unpleasant for cycling in that bonkers
              > bike lane in the door zone, with traffic islands sending motor traffic
              > right alongside you?
              >
              > On 1 Oct 2013, at 15:44, Bob Campbell wrote:
              >
              >> It may be too late, but for info: the Lambeth Neighbourhood Enhancement
              >> Programme team sent an email at miday today to remind that there is an
              >> exhibition today about the Coldharbour area NEP Public Consultation.
              >>
              >> The exhibition is today, Tuesday 1 October 16.30 to 20.30 at the
              >> Loughborough Centre Angell Road, SW9 7PD. There will be an opportunity
              >> to ask questions to officers. The proposals appear to include 20 mph
              >> speed limits, 'quietways' and cycle routes.
              >>
              >> For more info see
              >> http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/Environment/ColdharbourNeighbourhoodEnhancementProgramme.htm
              >>
              >> Bob Campbell

            • kemerton+clneely
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013

              Coldharbour ward has one of the lowest levels of car ownership in the country, in the area we walk cycle and use public transport more than anywhere else.

              I have long argued locally in Loughborough Junction for a cell,  bounded by Coldharbour Lane, Brixton Rd, Camberwell New Rd and Denmark Hill, within which as in similar areas in the Netherlands, everyone can walk cycle and use public transport and we local residents can receive deliveries and drive in and out of, but through motor traffic is filtered out by judicious road closures.

              The area is proposed for 20mph so the LCC proposed AGM resolution which is separate space for cycling on roads where there are high speeds and/or levels of motor traffic would only apply if Loughborough Rd is maintained as a through route for the high volumes of rush hour motor traffic which is currently accessing the closest to central London free parking space in the area.

              I would like to spend local money for cycling on things other than separate space for cycling, a short term measure.

              LCC groups local to the Cable Street and Bloomsbury routes which currently have separate space for cycling are both now campaigning to remove the separate space on those roads and filter out through traffic.

              Clare

            • Luke Evans
              Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013
                I have a feeling that Loughborough Road already has a 20mph speed limit on it - the problem is that it is not enforced.

                The problem on Loughborough Rd is that it is used as a back route to avoid Brixton town centre and Brixton Rd and is made worse by the current closure of Mostyn Rd. As you say Clare the best solution would be a nice easy barrier/ road closure at the junction with Lilford and Akerman Rd which would prevent it being a through road for cars.

                One complication to this is that TfL are proposing changing the routing of the P5 bus so that it will pass along Akerman and Loughborough heading towards Brixton - see route consultation https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/p5. They acknowledge that they will have to sort out the parked cars on Langton Rd to implement this so they insist on a controlled parking zone for the whole area

                Luke

                Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2013

                  Hi, as part of Croydon LCC group, we email and arranged a meeting with Andrew Gilligan, following Croydon’s “failed” Mini-Holland bid.  Andrew is still keen to put aspects of this Mini-Holland bid into practice, so money is there for good and needed projects.  We had very good detailed discussion late into the evening at City Hall, reviewing maps and routes and the centre of Croydon opportunities and possible really useful contra flows.

                  Andrew’s on-the-ground knowledge of local routes, issues and interest was amazing. There is not many parts of London he’s not cycled around!  Plus, as part of our meeting we touched on inner/outer cycling routes via Lambeth and problem junctions.

                  If you are interested in meeting with Andrew, drop Austen (chair of Croydon LCC group) or me an email for contact details if you do not already have them.

                  I had a Member’s Enquiry regarding “South Circular Quietway” with Lambeth Officers, but that seems not to have been replied to in the expected timeframe, so I would be interested to find out more from Andrew how this could connect through Lambeth.

                  He will be interested to hear your “wants” (Quietways routes, and barriers to improvements, difficult junctions etc).

                  Francis B

                  febnet02 (febnet02@...)