RE: [Lambeth_Cyclists] Paxton Green Roundabout Improvements - deadline 18 Oct 2013

  • Fe
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2013

      Jess, I share your concerns.   As I cycle regularly over this roundabout as I live just by it.   Large multi-lane roundabouts are dangerous and threatening, especially with multi lane entrances.  Add being on a steep “hill”, and the A2199 Strategic Road that is extremely busy peak, and very fast off-peak is not a good combination for cyclists, motorcyclists nor pedestrians.  In the “Trial” Officers reduced general traffic to “single lane” on three entrances/exits in total.   And as you say, the “Trial” of the pavement build out with the “single lane” Gipsy Road exit, created its own new dangers.

      In the current proposal, the exit into Gipsy Road is now clearly “two lanes” with a separate marked left filter for turning into Gipsy Hill.   Lets have a look at the detailed plans and the Open Day and see if that may work better.

      I have supported putting  a new raised Zebra over the Gipsy Road arm.  This would help slow traffic, help pedestrians and allows to connect another potential cycle track connecting from South Croxted Road to Gipsy Hill, which is one of the most dangerous routes to cycle.  But offices say there is insufficient funds at present.

      One new segregated cycle track is being proposed (connecting LCN23) from Alleyn Park to Dulwich Wood Avenue.  This widened pavement was not being proposed in the Nov12 consultation.  With the new Quietway route planning that is ongoing, Southwark Cyclists could propose this cycle track route into their CJSG discussion with Southwark.

      During the “Trial” how did you find the exit off the roundabout towards South Croxted Road during the “Trial”, (changing roundabout exit there from “3 lanes” down to “2 lanes”) as this being kept in the current proposal now.

      Francis B