Re: Commuting cyclists outnumber cars

  • Philip Loy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2011
      --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com, "simonstill" wrote:

      > Can you paraphrase/copy/repost the text of Clarkson's rant?

      All you need really is the summary on the website front page, which gives the essence of the article:

      The Sunday Times

      Clarkson: End this cycle fascism

      Cycling is no longer something useful but frontline propaganda weapon in the war on capitalism, banking, freedom, McDonald's, Swiss drug companies and progress...

      So:

      "Clarkson: End this cycle fascism"

      - be interesting to know what he's referring to. Campaigning? Justice and equality for people on bicycles? 'Fascism' is of course always used as a lazy way of branding others who do not share your views without having to engage with the merits of the argument. I wonder how much he gets paid for not thinking?

      "Cycling is no longer something useful"

      - so Clarkson once thought cycling was useful?

      "but frontline propaganda weapon in the war on capitalism, banking..."

      - Danny's website shows pictures of how one of the world's top financial centres has some of the most intensive bike parking in the country, let alone London.

      "...freedom..."

      - one of the great liberators of the late 19th century, history repeats itself as cycling offers the potential to free billions once more in the early 21st century (see the Andrew Marr film).

      "..McDonald's, Swiss drug companies..."

      - no I'm not sure what this has to do with anything either. Although, at the Lambeth Cyclists Bike Week barbecue yesterday we noted how drug companies try to flood doctors with advertising and perks for their drug products, and the tensions this might give rise to when 'cycling on prescription' initiatives are promoted to use non-chemical treatments for mental and physical issues. So yes Clarkson may be right on 'drugs'!

      "and progress"

      - Well, what is progress? A lot of people conflate technological sophistication or complexity with progress, an understandable confusion but 'progress' is a value term. It's still an open debate what constitutes progress and what doesn't.

      cheers
      Philip

      > the original, cockney, meaning of the term
      - I never knew that, quite funny

      > One day I'll do a Sharon Osbourne on him...
      - Don't know what you mean but whatever it is I hope you get to do it...
    • Anna Sharman (general)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 21, 2011
        I think we should ignore Jeremy Clarkson. His raison d'etre is to be a car
        nut and hate cyclists and public transport, and he makes his living being
        entertaining while doing this kind of rant. Laugh and move on.

        The people we need to worry about are those who commission him to write a
        serious piece and think he is making valid points.

        I have a (perhaps mad) theory that Top Gear is actually a propaganda machine
        for some green, anti-car lobby, because the presenters send themselves up so
        much, and in because the challenges where the car races some other form of
        transport the car always loses. The two races they have had across London
        have been particularly good at showing how useless cars are in this city.

        Anna

        On 20 June 2011 16:48, Philip Loy <philip_loy@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com, "simonstill" wrote:>
        > > Can you paraphrase/copy/repost the text of Clarkson's rant?

        > The Sunday Times
        >
        > Clarkson: End this cycle fascism
        >
        > Cycling is no longer something useful but frontline propaganda weapon in
        > the war on capitalism, banking, freedom, McDonald's, Swiss drug companies
        > and progress...
      • Andy Weir
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 21, 2011
          I agree. Clarkson¹s whole raison d¹etre is to provoke. I think the other
          Sunday Times article is much more significant and far more worthy of
          attention. It is evidence of cycling in the capital reaching critical mass,
          a tipping point signalling we should no longer be going cap in hand to
          governments local and central with clever arguments and Œplease¹, but simply
          say Œour numbers justify a far greater share of the road space, so give it
          to us now¹.

          Clarkson is trying for a big postbag by being outrageous. He is not part of
          a serious policy debate. Ignore him. He will go away.

          Andrew

          On 21/06/2011 09:50, "Anna Sharman (general)" <general@...>
          wrote:

          > I think we should ignore Jeremy Clarkson. His raison d'etre is to be a car
          > nut and hate cyclists and public transport, and he makes his living being
          > entertaining while doing this kind of rant. Laugh and move on.
          >
          > The people we need to worry about are those who commission him to write a
          > serious piece and think he is making valid points.
          >
          > I have a (perhaps mad) theory that Top Gear is actually a propaganda machine
          > for some green, anti-car lobby, because the presenters send themselves up so
          > much, and in because the challenges where the car races some other form of
          > transport the car always loses. The two races they have had across London
          > have been particularly good at showing how useless cars are in this city.
          >
          > Anna
          >
          > On 20 June 2011 16:48, Philip Loy <philip_loy@...
          > <mailto:philip_loy%40yahoo.co.uk> > wrote:
          >
          >> > **
          >> >

          >> > --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com

          >> > The Sunday Times
          >> >
          >> > Clarkson: End this cycle fascism
          >> >
          >> > Cycling is no longer something useful but frontline propaganda weapon in
          >> > the war on capitalism, banking, freedom, McDonald's, Swiss drug companies
          >> > and progress...

        • Jon Davies
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 21, 2011
            A sentiment his wife probably shares.
            Sent using BlackBerry� from Orange

            I agree. Clarkson�s whole raison d�etre is to provoke. I think the other
            Sunday Times article is much more significant and far more worthy of
            attention. It is evidence of cycling in the capital reaching critical mass,
            a tipping point signalling we should no longer be going cap in hand to
            governments local and central with clever arguments and �please�, but simply
            say �our numbers justify a far greater share of the road space, so give it
            to us now�.