Re: [Lambeth_Cyclists] TfL Journey Planner

  • Ross Corben
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1 10:03 AM
      It will always give you a tube or overground + bus journey instead of a less expensive bus-only journey, too

      Date: 22.12.2010

      Dear Dr Bewley

      Re: Journey Planner

      Thank you for your further correspondence regarding our Journey Planner. My colleague Sara Reynaga has asked me to reply to you on this occasion. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the response you received, and that I have been unable to reply to you sooner. I empathise wholeheartedly with your concerns, and would like to assure you that the safety of cyclists is something that TfL is continually seeking to promote and protect through the various services it offers.

      I have forwarded your latest correspondence to our Journey Planner team, who have made a careful note of your comments. The journey results take into account the average speed for each option: 16 km/h for Easy routes, 20 km/h for Fast routes, and 12 km/h for Leisure routes. All cyclists will travel at different speeds, so the actual journey may well differ slightly from the time predicted by the software.

      All routes are taken from a Geographic Information System, and from a database providing information on the properties of roads in London. The Cycle Journey Planner can therefore take any mitigating information from the database into account when creating trips. Data in this database is reviewed annually and updated accordingly. Thanks to your valuable feedback, the Journey Planner team will be able to bear your comments in mind when next updating the database, and make any necessary amendments.

      Thank you once again for the time you have taken to bring this matter to our attention, and I hope that my reply will offer you some reassurance. For more information about TfL’s services, please visit our website <http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact> www.tfl.gov.uk/contact.

      Yours sincerely

      Heather Godwin

      Customer Services Advisor – London Streets

      Transport for London

      Surface Transport Customer Services

      sbewley@... Subject:

      Journey Planner

      Dear Sara Reynaga
      Thank you. Unfortunately your email comes across as a paeon of praise for the Superhighways and a ‘cut and paste’ job (e.g. the Stockwell Gyratory and E&C bypass are quite irrelevant to my letter). I was not aware that “BarclaysCycle Superhighways provide cyclists with safer, faster and more direct journeys into the city” – and this was not the subject of my complaint – excepting insofar as the TfL planner unnecessarily directed me to a Superhighway.
      I would be grateful if you could address the point I made – that the TfL software seems to be faulty and is encouraging cyclists to use a longer and more dangerous route. I have looked at the journey planner again and the different options offered. The “easy” route (which is supposed to “prefer quiet streets”) is exactly the same as the “fast” one. It is incorrect that the fast one will be quicker than the “leisure” one – I know as I use all these roads regularly. The Oval is emphatically NOT a safer redesigned junctionthanks to the Superhighway – it is potentially lethal.
      I am not complaining just to be annoying - I have a genuine concern that there is a problem with your computing software that does not automatically give the shortest and safest route as thedefault. Please could you let me know what TfL will do in response to this complaint.
      Susan

      Date: 11.11.2010
      Dear Dr Bewley
      Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding our walking and cycling Journey Planner. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me
      In respect of the cycling journey planner, I have used the postal codes that you have provided and it has given me a route which does use the Barclays Cycle Superhighway 3 on Clapham Road, Kennington Park Road and Elliott’s Row.
      When looking at this map, to the side of it shows the route in word form with a blue, green or yellow bar, this shows weather the route will take you on the Barclays Cycle Superhighway, weather the route is signed for cyclists and may take you on a busy road or if the route takes you on a quieter road which has been recommended by cyclists. You can also change your route by using the “Advanced Options”.
      In respect of your comments regarding walking, I have passed your comments on to our Journey Planner who will take your comments on board and investigate where necessary. Following this, they will take any necessary action.
      Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I hope that the information provided has been helpful. If you have anyfuture queries, please feel free to contact me. For more information regarding TfL’s services, please visit www.tfl.gov.uk/contact.
      Yours sincerely
      Annemarie Roche