Summary meeting note for February 2010

  • Lambeth Cyclists
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      Summary of February's meeting. Apologies for delay. Ten people was a good turnout for such a wet day!

      Philip

      LAMBETH CYCLISTS
      www.lambethcyclists.org.uk

      Summary of meeting on Tuesday 16th February 2010
      Venue: The Priory Arms (upstairs meeting room), 83 Lansdowne Way, London SW8 2PB

      Agenda:

      1. Vauxhall/ Nine Elms Opportunity Area
      2. Lambeth Transport Forum
      3. Brixton Low Carbon Zone
      4. Brixton Town Centre – update
      5. Cycle Superhighways – update
      6. LIPS – Local Implementation Plan
      7. Hustings – update
      8. Maintenance Classes
      9. Rides
      10. Any other business

      1. VAUXHALL/ NINE ELMS OPPORTUNITY AREA

      Mary Acland-Hood gave an update on the above regeneration scheme and outlined the draft response she had submitted on behalf of the Vauxhall Society.

      Key points in the response in terms of transport issues concerned connectivity and permeability of the area around the Vauxhall Cross gyratory for pedestrians and cyclists, which were underpinned by removal of the one-way working of the gyratory. It was noted that all transport infrastructure measures would have to be funded through developer contributions.

      The area was within the Cycle Hire scheme scheduled for this year. It was thought that the Cycle Superhighway should run along Nine Elms Lane rather than divert over Chelsea Bridge.

      Mary wished to submit a further response that was coordinated with Lambeth Cyclists, and would forward a draft once completed. Charlie Holland and Jon Creighton were both consultees for the development.

      More information on GLA website:
      http://is.gd/90cDw

      2. LAMBETH TRANSPORT FORUM

      Lambeth Council ran a forum to discuss transport issues in the borough with various stakeholders, usually attended by Philip Loy and/ or Clare Neely.

      Clare pointed out that Transport for London (TfL) as the highway authority for Red Routes did not have to consult groups like Lambeth Cyclists, whereas the Council does. However, TfL does have to consult the Council, and this was a possible basis for greater accountability on the part of TfL.

      Clare would request a standing item on the Transport Forum of proposed TfL schemes so that they can be scrutinised at an earlier stage.

      The next Transport Forum was 10th March 2010. Philip gave his apologies for that meeting.

      3. BRIXTON LOW CARBON ZONE

      Brixton was one of several areas in London that was the focus of an initiative to promote low carbon lifestyles.

      On Saturday 20th March from 2pm to 5pm there would be an awareness-raising event in Loughborough Park Estate. Clare would coordinate a stall for Lambeth Cyclists.

      * Any volunteers for the stall please get in touch: lambeth_cyclists@...

      More information and links on Council website:
      http://is.gd/94LOl

      4. BRIXTON TOWN CENTRE – UPDATE

      Problems were still being reported for cyclists southbound through Brixton due to lane changing by motor vehicles between Effra Road and Brixton Hill.

      Possible ways forward were discussed including coordinating a response for GLA members.
      Clare would circulate contact details on the email list for people to submit comments. Philip to put information on the website.

      5. CYCLE SUPERHIGHWAYS – UPDATE

      Charlie attended LCC meetings on the Cycle Superhighways on behalf of Lambeth and Wandsworth LCC groups.

      Work has started on the two pilot routes, but the deadline for delivery has slipped a little from May to ‘Summer’. LCC had asked for deferment of the programme pending further work on key junctions such as Stockwell gyratory and Kennington Oval, but TfL wished to press ahead for completion.

      More information on TfL website:
      http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11901.aspx

      6. LIPS – LOCAL IMPLEMENTATION PLAN

      LIPS were the programme of local transport proposals that London Boroughs submitted to TfL in order to receive funding.

      Clare would obtain a copy of the Lambeth LIP and speak to Lambeth Transport on its content.

      7. HUSTINGS – UPDATE

      Target date: Tuesday 13th April.

      Luke Evans was coordinating, and asked that a room be booked at the Town Hall via a Council officer or a councillor.

      8. MAINTENANCE CLASSES

      The classes needed a new coordinator to take over from Janet Paske.

      In the interim Chris James would establish new dates with the trainer and venue, and Philip would publicise via email and website etc.

      9. RIDES

      Next ride: Saturday 6th March – Anthony Gilmour would be leading a ride in South east London on the remains of medieval buildings to be found there. Details to be forwarded to Philip.

      Chris would be leading a ride in the Architecture Biennale: http://www.lfa2010.org/

      10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

      Charlie highlighted the Lambeth Sustainable Transport Plan and the proposed initiative of a cycling hub at the old Lilian Baylis school site near Waterloo. This could tie-in with the Wheels for Wellbeing project.

      Charlie was developing a ‘Ward Audit’ methodology on behalf of LCC. It was agreed that Lambeth wards would be individually targeted and assessed for general facilities and permeability, possibly over a two-year period. The first would be St Leonard's ward in Streatham with Charlie and Mark Knox, suggested date 14th March.

      END OF MEETING

      Who was there?
      Mary Acland-Hood, Jon Creighton, Anthony Gilmour, Charlie Holland, Chris James, Mark Knox, Philip Loy, Clare Neely, Rowan October, Guy Roberts.
      Apologies: Olivia Christophersen, Luke Evans, Gustavo Gontijo, Danny Williams.

      NEXT MEETING

      Tuesday 16th March 2010 – 7.30pm at The Trinity Arms, 83 Lansdowne Way, London SW8 2PB

      Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
      http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/
    • john hare
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hi Phil - you've said the next meeting is at the "Trinity Arms" Lansdowne Way - do you mean the Priory? I guess so...

[...]

        ------------------------------------

        Too many e-mails? Don't leave! Advice here:
        http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=525

        Lambeth Cyclists are a branch of the London Cycling Campaign.
        http://www.lambethcyclists.org.uk
        http://www.lcc.org.uk/

        Email: lambeth_cyclists@...
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Philip Loy
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
          --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com, john hare wrote:

          > Hi Phil - you've said the next meeting is at the "Trinity Arms" Lansdowne Way - do you mean the Priory? I guess so...

          Oops yes sorry John it's a curious feature of my brain that I confuse those two pubs, some sort of public house dyslexia.

          But yes, I do mean - hang on let me check - The Priory Arms. We're even on their on-line web diary:

          http://www.theprioryarms.co.uk/events.php

          But I'll have to get them to change the name to Lambeth Cyclists as opposed to Lambeth Cycling Club, but you know what they mean.

          Philip