RE: [Lambeth_Cyclists] Re: Re (from): Brixton Hill to be two way from 6am Sunday! Logging Collisions

  • Clare Neely
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
      Local Highway Authorities designing and amending highway development take a
      huge amount of interest in collision statistics. They are required to reduce
      them from a baseline. It is a major contribution to campaigning for cycle
      priority in schemes if people report even the most minor collision to the
      police who then hand the data on. Tedious but I cannot emphasise enough how
      crucial it is.

      The reason we have motorcycles in bus lanes is because of all the modes
      their collision stats have not been falling and it was an easy win, for
      Boris to be seen to be doing something, despite the evidence of research
      into the trials on Brixton Hill and elsewhere by Ken that it did not improve
      things for motor cycle collision stats.

      Sadly I think much of the reduction in pedestrian stats is because people
      have stopped walking.

      19:32:00

    • Andrew Weir
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 2, 2009
        I support what you say, but how confident are you that the police actually
        pass it on, and to whom should we report, say, a minor shunt involving a
        nasty graze? Police are known for underreporting injuries on the Stats 19
        criteria, and that is where they have been officially involved. So, I wonder
        what they do where they were not officially involved ‹ wouldn¹t they need
        independent corroboration of the incident you are reporting before making
        a formal record?

        It would be reassuring to know if they don¹t filter them in some way.

        Andrew