Free Solar Panels reply by Friday

  • clneely@kemerton.force9.co.uk
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009
      Off topic but thought this list could be interested.

      Subject: Free solar panels for Lambeth Green Champions? please help
      From: "Sheehan,Susan" <SSheehan@...>
      Date: Wed, November 4, 2009 9:52 am
      To:

      If you are interested in solar panels on your house (private householders
      only for this one) - please reply to our Green Community Champion, Chris
      Morrison, by return...

      See Chris's e-mail below.

      All the best

      Sue

      Susan Sheehan

      Green Community Champions Officer

      Sustainability Unit

      Public Realm Division

      Housing, Regeneration & Environment

      London Borough of Lambeth

      phone: 020 7926 7672

      fax: 020 7926 6201

      email: SSheehan@...

      website: www.lambeth.gov.uk <http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/>

      4th Floor, Blue Star House, 234-244 Stockwell Road, London SW9 9SP

      Making a difference

      L a m b e t h - F a i r t r a d e L o n d o n B o r o u g h

      Lead borough on the London Fairtrade Campaign. Visit
      www.fairtradelondon.org.uk
      <file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\SShehan\Application%20Data\Microsoft\Signatures\www.fairtradelondon.org.uk>

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009
        Sorry for the long post but I said I'd provide feedback...

        Bearing in mind it was only my intention to highlight the safety of this junction - so no expectation of action as such, I'm enclosing the comments I received back from Richard minus some fluff from me;

        ----

        >Yes indeed. The best engineering solution would probably be stop lines and a speed table at the junction. There are lots of priorites for cycling across the borough but I agree with you tht this one should go high up the list. Of course almost everything could be resolved if drivers took more responsibility for their potential to do harm to others with their vehicles, which is why Lambeth have adopted the Road Danger Reduction charter and is th first borough in th country to have a Road Danger Reduction Manager instead of a Road Safety Officer. Enforcing decent behaviour is another matter of course.

        And finally, and while falling short of the machine gun turrents I'd have opted for, makes me feel like quite the activist,

        >After further thought I think we should be able to at least refresh the give way markings. I�ll see if this can be done in the next 6 months.

        I'd not noticed the state of the markings but made a point of looking and they are pretty tired. Given the budget constraints that I'm sure exist, a refresh is more than I'd expected, so my thanks to Richard for offering it as a possible action. Jokingly, I'm also tempted to wire up a couple of blue LEDs that flash like police cars once it gets dark and leave them in place for a while - won't do much for the mornings but it might have an effect at night :-)

        My take-away from this - complain. Get the complaint registered and counted. It may not get resolved immediately but in the future, the information will be there and maybe be useful. I have to admit, I've a kind of readybreak glow from the process too (but then, I'm easily pleased!)

        Cheer

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 5, 2009
          Agreed. Tis now a dangerous intersection. I use it quite often. I have
          cycled and driven both directions across this intersection and in each
          direction, it felt like I had the right of way. This is obviously not
          supposed to be a completely uncontrolled intersection so some improvements
          are necessary. I agree it was much less threatening when there was a
          roundabout there.

          On 11/4/09, Simon E. Devlin <simon.devlin@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > give way markings. I�ll see if this can be done in the next 6 months.
          >
          > I'd not noticed the state of the markings but made a point of looking and
          > they are pretty tired. Given the budget constraints that I'm sure exist, a
          > refresh is more than I'd expected, so my thanks to Richard for offering it
          > as a possible action. Jokingly, I'm also tempted to wire up a couple of
          > blue LEDs that flash like police cars once it gets dark and leave them in
          > place for a while - won't do much for the mornings but it might have an
          > effect at night :-)
          >
          > My take-away from this - complain. Get the complaint registered and
          > counted. It may not get resolved immediately but in the future, the
          > information will be there and maybe be useful. I have to admit, I've a kind
          > of readybreak glow from the process too (but then, I'm easily pleased!)

        • Paul Robson and Marie-Noelle Vieu
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 5, 2009
            Thanks to Simon Devlin for taking up this issue with Lambeth Borough.

            Earlier in this discussion the issue of rat-runs was raised. Should this
            general issue be taken up with Lambeth Borough or included in the Lambeth
            Cyclists' manifesto. Living on a rat-run, I have the impression that
            traffic has increased, maybe because of Sat-Navs. Does the Borough have a
            policy on this?

            Paul Robson

            >On 11/4/09, Simon E. Devlin <simon.devlin@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Sorry for the long post but I said I'd provide feedback...
            >>
            >> Bearing in mind it was only my intention to highlight the safety of this
            >> junction - so no expectation of action as such, I'm enclosing the
            comments I
            >> received back from Richard minus some fluff from me;
            >>
            >> >I am sorry to hear about your incidents there. Upgrading to a Stop line is
            >> a good idea and I too have thought of that for that location. Unfortunately
            >> Stop lines are very rarely used in this country and have to have DfT
            >> approval

            Paul Robson and Marie-Noelle Vieu (vieurobs@...)
          • mcclewv
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 5, 2009
              This can be easily solved with a "Give Way" sign. Simple.

              --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com, Ben Patrick <benpatrick1@...> wrote:

              > Agreed. Tis now a dangerous intersection. I use it quite often. I have
              > cycled and driven both directions across this intersection and in each
              > direction, it felt like I had the right of way. This is obviously not
              > supposed to be a completely uncontrolled intersection so some improvements
              > are necessary. I agree it was much less threatening when there was a
              > roundabout there.

            • Andrew Weir
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 5, 2009
                It already has one.
                Andrew

                On 05/11/2009 16:23, "mcclewv" <vmcclew@...> wrote:

                > This can be easily solved with a "Give Way" sign. Simple.
                >
                > --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:Lambeth_Cyclists%40yahoogroups.com> , Ben Patrick <benpatrick1@...>
                > wrote:
                >> >
                >> > Agreed. Tis now a dangerous intersection. I use it quite often. I have
                >> > cycled and driven both directions across this intersection and in each
                >> > direction, it felt like I had the right of way. This is obviously not
                >> > supposed to be a completely uncontrolled intersection so some improvements
                >> > are necessary. I agree it was much less threatening when there was a
                >> > roundabout there.

              • Andrew Weir
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 5, 2009
                  Hi Paul, I am also on that other group (ALRA) where this came up.
                  My opinion is that the interminable, horrendous roadworks in Brixton Town
                  Centre are mainly responsible for the increased traffic, and thus the search
                  for short cuts like Branksome and Lambert Roads. (I live just off
                  Branksome).
                  Andrew

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 6, 2009
                    Worth raising with Cycle officer as Simon has done. I have raised 3 one
                    way streets in my area and some rat runs and it turns out there is a Low
                    Carbon Zone in the area, part of the brief is cross department liasion to
                    encourage Low Carbon Activity such as cycling. So I am off on a walkabout
                    early December with the Green team and transport.

                    In this pre election time probably also worth raising with local councillors

                    Thanks to Simon Devlin for taking up this issue with Lambeth Borough.

                    > Earlier in this discussion the issue of rat-runs was raised. Should this
                    > general issue be taken up with Lambeth Borough or included in the Lambeth
                    > Cyclists' manifesto. Living on a rat-run, I have the impression that
                    > traffic has increased, maybe because of Sat-Navs. Does the Borough have a
                    > policy on this?
                    >

                    > Paul Robson
                    >

                    >>On 11/4/09, Simon E. Devlin <simon.devlin@...> wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> Sorry for the long post but I said I'd provide feedback...
                    >>>
                    >>> Bearing in mind it was only my intention to highlight the safety of
                    >>> this
                    >>> junction - so no expectation of action as such, I'm enclosing the
                    > comments I
                    >>> received back from Richard minus some fluff from me;

                    >>> line is
                    >>> a good idea and I too have thought of that for that location.
                    >>> Unfortunately
                    >>> Stop lines are very rarely used in this country and have to have DfT
                    >>> approval
                    >

                    > Paul Robson and Marie-Noelle Vieu (vieurobs@...)

                  • Simon E. Devlin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 7, 2009
                      You're making me blush - my efforts are entirely self serving given that I use that route :-)

                      Blushing aside, in my original feedback I neglected to thank Richard Ambler for a fast and helpful response, and as regards the refreshing of the road markings, for thinking a bit laterally within some pretty big budget and policy constraints.

                      Just as a matter of note, I followed up with him again on Friday regarding the signage on that junction. One side of it looks like it's had a bit of a knock and no longer faces directly into the stream of traffic heading towards South Lambeth Road and the same sign has no illumination in the evenings due to a blown bulb. He's passed those comments on to the Lambeth maintenance team. Neither item are likely to be a root cause but it can't hurt to get them attended to - if people see any others

                      Baring a serious accident or militant residents I think this one has probably reached its conclusion. I'll collate the comments from here and forward them to the different sets of councillors that are squaring up for battle in a few months time - again, it can't hurt. If anyone has any objections to their comments being included, let me know (I doubt it'll happen this week) and I'll exclude them.

                      Cheers

                      Simon
                      ________________________________
                      Worth raising with Cycle officer as Simon has done. I have raised 3 one
                      way streets in my area and some rat runs and it turns out there is a Low
                      Carbon Zone in the area, part of the brief is cross department liasion to
                      encourage Low Carbon Activity such as cycling. So I am off on a walkabout
                      early December with the Green team and transport.

                      In this pre election time probably also worth raising with local councillors

                      Thanks to Simon Devlin for taking up this issue with Lambeth Borough.

                      > Earlier in this discussion the issue of rat-runs was raised. Should this
                      > general issue be taken up with Lambeth Borough or included in the Lambeth
                      > Cyclists' manifesto. Living on a rat-run, I have the impression that
                      > traffic has increased, maybe because of Sat-Navs. Does the Borough have a
                      > policy on this?
                      >

                      > Paul Robson
                      >

                      >>On 11/4/09, Simon E. Devlin <simon.devlin@...<mailto:simon.devlin%407layerforensics.com>> wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> Sorry for the long post but I said I'd provide feedback...
                      >>>
                      >>> Bearing in mind it was only my intention to highlight the safety of
                      >>> this
                      >>> junction - so no expectation of action as such, I'm enclosing the
                      > comments I
                      >>> received back from Richard minus some fluff from me;

                      >>> line is
                      >>> a good idea and I too have thought of that for that location.
                      >>> Unfortunately
                      >>> Stop lines are very rarely used in this country and have to have DfT
                      >>> approval
                      >

                      > Paul Robson and Marie-Noelle Vieu (vieurobs@...<mailto:vieurobs%40gn.apc.org>)

                    • Ben Patrick
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 7, 2009
                        Sorry one final comment. I cycled south on fentiman road last night
                        and saw 2 vehicles in quick succession go directly through the give
                        waysign on this intersection without a hint slowing for either it or
                        the speed bumps. As I approached the intersection I searched for the
                        give way sign and had to take my eyes off the road to eventually find
                        it. It really is hard to see even with it's illumination. It is small
                        and badly located. It is for this reason I beleive that drivers and
                        cylists alike run through what to them looks like an uncontrolled
                        intersection.

                        Any remedial work needs to go further than fixing the lighting I my view.

                        I will shut up now.
                        Ben

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 17, 2009
                          Could anyone who is free on Tuesday 24th November from 11am to 1.00pm go
                          along to this with a cycling perspective. Perhaps the new 2 way in Brixton
                          could be improved by a direct route for cyclists from Coldharbour to Acre
                          Lane.

                          I would also like to emphasise how Coldharbour Lane is used as a race
                          track by car drivers, and Loughborough Junction is a through route for
                          drivers from Bromley, and how the Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough Road area
                          could benefit from pedestrian and cycling priority, 20mph zone urban realm
                          type treatment. Lambeth have already done this on Wandsworth Road

                          Subject: Invitation to LCZ walkabout
                          From: "Sheehan,Susan" <SSheehan@...>
                          Date: Tue, November 17, 2009 2:47 pm
                          To:

                          I would like to invite Green Champions to attend an informal walkabout
                          around the Brixton Low Carbon Zone on Tuesday 24th November. Please meet
                          at the entrance of Blue Star House at 11am. The walk will finish by 1pm.

                          This is the first of many walkabouts and will focus on transport in the
                          zone. We are hoping to discourage car use and encouraging walking and
                          cycling, so will be coming up with projects to support that. We would
                          like input from Green Champions who live in the Brixton area.

                          It will also be a chance to understand how the Low Carbon Zone will
                          work. This is the first but hopefully not the last Low Carbon Zone in
                          Lambeth. The approach is interesting because it forces lots of different
                          people to work together in a concentrated manner.

                          There will be more walkabouts over the coming months, focusing on
                          Business & Waste (Dec 8th), Buildings & Energy (January - tbc) and Parks
                          (February/March tbc). There is scope to continue this on a monthly/
                          6-weekly basis beyond that.

                          But if you are interested in Green Communities and transport this is the
                          one to attend.

                          Please let me know if you are able to come along and/or interested in
                          coming to future walks.

                          All the best

                          Susan