Re: [Lambeth_Cyclists] Ask Boris about cycling in Lambeth

  • clneely@kemerton.force9.co.uk
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 1, 2009
      Without wishing to be pedantic technical term is collisions, cant remember
      why this is the technical term, but accident seems to absolve the
      motorist.

      Interesting analysis but seems to confirm what people always say, that
      they dont cycle because of the speed and the amount of the traffic "The
      data would suggest that the more over-capacity (large amounts of motor
      traffic filling a road) a link (road/highway) is,
      the more likely an accident"

      I do know that KSIs (Killed and Seriously Injured) by collisions are 10-12
      times as likely to happen at roundabouts and gyratories, Waterloo, E&C and
      Vauxhall Cross.

      The point you have made about sending cycle hire cyclists off into the
      badlands of the Kennington Park Road, Oval junction, Vauxhall gyratory has
      been forcibly made by Lambeth Cyclists in particular and LCC in general,
      also the lack of direct routes, and LCC have obtained funding for measures
      associated with the cycle hire, which in Lambeth will be mainly works to
      return the network of one way streets in the Oval, Waterloo, Vauxhall area
      to 2 way. which still leaves the badlands.

      There is a thread about this on the LCC CPEC list, where headbangers
      discuss this kind of technical detail, open to anyone, love more people to
      join, which falls under the other Mayor's list thing, Cycle super
      highways. The first route that will be installed is a direct route for new
      cyclists which goes down Clapham High Street, Clapham Road, Stockwell
      Triangle, and through the Oval (no they are not joking)

      It does however allow us to discuss how you deal with overcapacity links,
      such as Clapham High Street to encourage new cyclists, segregation?, wide
      bus lanes, and speeding traffic on Clapham Road.

      The data is straight forward STATS19 - the same database used by TfL.

      > I have done a simple join on the data using GIS to obtain the number of
      > accidents in each 'Network of Interest'
      >
      > The concept of correltating accidents to overall traffic is an interesting
      > one..   I've tried using a negative binomial regression with mixed
      > results.  The data would suggest that the more over-capacity a link is,
      > the more likely an accident.  This is why I think the cycle hire scheme
      > effects us all.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Ross Corben
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 22, 2009
        Cracking idea Grommit!

        Here's one of those ready made letters you may wish to make better and send:

        Dear MP,

        re
        http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6841326.ece
        September 20, 2009

        "Ministers are considering a far-reaching change in the law in a bid to promote greener transport. MINISTERS are considering making motorists legally responsible for accidents involving cyclists or pedestrians, even if they are not at fault"

        Please support this move. As the law has been thus in Austria for 20 years+ already, and is this way on other parts of the continent, there should be evidence available (via the dft? make it public please) to say whether it will be good or not

        Yours

        rosscorben@...
        please add your own e-mail address as a signature to your own e-mails, including replies an forwards, to avoid replies going to the whole group when not intended (pesky Yahoogroups! !) Thanks